How much is too much?

My daughter was born friday morning so shes only 5 days old and she's eating pretty close to 4oz's already and she's 7lbs 13oz is that to much for her to be eating? Should I be stopping her before she eats that much or is it okay to be letting her eat that much?

leemarie18

Asked by leemarie18 at 12:35 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say its okay unless she is spitting up after each meal. I didnt learn this until my DD was a few months old and one day it just clicked. If she hadnt had too much to eat she wouldnt spit up, and when she would cry and take a bottle when I thought she needed one and she did spit up i started to realize that she just wanted it but didnt need it and in the end it was making her spit up. Just my opinion though.
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 12:38 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I think 4 oz is too much. I would try stopping her after 2, give her something to suck on... if she still really wants to eat then give her more. Her tummy isn't that big yet... she is taking right now what we be enough for a 1 month old. Her tummy is really only big enough to hold 2 oz a time.
    Make sure you are using a slow flow nipple... too fast can cause her to over eat. And make sure if she looks full... or falls asleep you don't try to make her finish the bottle.
    Your baby should be taking about 20 oz/day for her age and weight
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:40 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• sweetie I know right now u want to do everythign right for your baby......if you ever in doubt call your babys doctor, thats what they are there for...
    newborns like to suck, they did it in the womb too, its a natural reflex......but if she is able to keep all of it down with out spitting up, she is just a big eater......but if she is spitting up that means its too much, just as they replies above said make sure its a slow flow nipple....put it in your mouth and suck air threw it thats how much milk she is getting......
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 2:33 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• She should be eating what she wants to eat. If she can take 4oz and isn't spitting an ounce or two back up....give it to her! She knows what she wants, she knows when she's hungry.

Feed on demand.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:12 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I'd go with the spit up answer. Our babies are 2 months old and they are taking 6 oz. The doctor said that's alot for their age, but they aren't spitting up and they stop when they're full if they don't want the full 6. They have also seemed to plateau for now. They were going up about a 1/2 oz every couple of weeks! Good luck!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 8:43 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• By the way...my three each were taking 8oz every 2-3 hours at six weeks. That's what they wanted and the pediatrician said to give them what they wanted....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:15 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Is hard to believe, but most babies know when they are full and will stop eating. If she is taking the 4 ozs with no problems, keep giving it to her. Give her what she wants unless you are instructed otherwise by her Ped.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 8:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2009