Making Nursery Bedding HELP!

Ok ladies, So I decided that Because I am so picky that I was gonna make My new baby on the ways nursery decor. Well I have the basic ideas and general knowledge of my machine, and with some practice and tips I know I can do it, I don't like to go into anything with just the basics though. I like to have as much advice, and ideas from people as I can get. Not to mention, brainstorming with people gives you inspiration. So please ladies who have done this DROP ME SOME TIPS, secret tricks, hints, All that good stuff, How did you do it? What do you think the best kind of Fabric is too use, Best to sew with, Threads that are great or special tools that you have found. Easy Solutions and etc.
So these are the things that I am making:
Bumper, Fitted Sheet, Sheet, Comforter, Dust Ruffle, Wall Decorations, Diaper stacker/organizer.
i am gonna use ribbons, Oh and if you think of any other pieces let me know ~!!

Mommyxtwo777

Asked by Mommyxtwo777 at 12:43 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Cotton is definitely the best for nursery bedding. It is comfortable and breathes nicely and doesn't stretch so that it fits too loosely. If you want to get fancy with her comforter/quilt that would be fine because she shouldn't be sleeping with it anyway. One with pretty ribbons and stuff that is secured but she can tug on would be fun for her to play with when she is doing tummy time.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 3:11 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Well, keep in mind that you shouldn't use the bumper pads until she can roll over (4-6 months) and need to stop using them when she can pull to stand (7-12 months). So you may decide you don't want to bother with them.
    And remember, no bumpers, no blankets, no pillows, no stuffed animals until then (or later), just to be safe.
    Make several sheets - at least 4, more is even better. Then you don't have to stress about laundry after diaper blow-outs, spit-ups, throw-ups, etc. Also, pick a soft pattern, not something busy or bold so it doesn't stimulate the baby and keep her from sleeping.

The best fabric will be a 100% cotton fabric. Most fabric stores will have a nice selection of quilting fabrics and nursery fabrics. A general purpose thread will be fine. Grosgrain ribbon (ribbon with tiny ridges running across it) will hold a knot or bow but silky ribbons won't. So keep that in mind when choosing your ribbons.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:57 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Oh - and Good Luck! It's fun to make something for your baby. Remember, if she ever notices any "flaws", she won't know they are flaws. To her, they will be part of what the item is, part of it's perfectness. So don't stress out and freak if it doesn't go just as you imagine. Enjoy the process instead.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:59 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I already have one daughter so I know all the precautions, whether or not they stay in the bed is not the point lol I am a photographer and my nursery tends to be in a still life after baby wakes, But to be honest, I Used a bumper with my first daughter because she slept in a positioner, Because she would toss so much and then colic and needed to be elevated, since she really couldn't go anywhere i left the bumper in the bed, it kept the draft off of her. She was so amall i lined the outside of her crib with stuffed animals and decor, for pictures when she was sleeping, So i want all the pieces. I know I love making things for my little ones, I am making a quilt for my first daughter out of all the baby clothes and person stuff she out grew. Flaws are what make it homemade lol... TY ladies for your advice/ and keep it coming,
    Mommyxtwo777

Answer by Mommyxtwo777 at 1:13 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• thats exactly what i was thinking, using different texture material for it and stuff to tug out, I think it would be a great multi purpose piece.
    Mommyxtwo777

Answer by Mommyxtwo777 at 8:33 AM on Mar. 24, 2009