I am out of ideas.......light bulbs that break in-socket

I have a bulb that was broken (ball thrown in the house) in my ceiling fan; can anyone give me any ideas on how to get the bottom out of the fan? Thanks in advance!

loving_mom7

Asked by loving_mom7 at 1:53 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I heard that you could use a potato
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:53 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Yup, potato!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:54 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• yup a potato. or if you are in a rental call the landlord.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 1:55 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Yeah, cut a potato in half, then push the flesh part of the potato into the cracked glass. You should be able to twist the potato and take the bulb out that way. Apples and onions work too, but I wouldn't use an onion unless I absolutely had to!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:55 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Ok, sorry.........I should have added that there is no glass left. LOL It's just the metal bottom part
    loving_mom7

Answer by loving_mom7 at 1:57 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Hmmmmm, can you cut off the power by flipping the braker switch and use some needle nose pliers?
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:01 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Pliers? My husband says to shove playdoh or something similar in it and then get a wooden spoon and stick that in the playdoh. I don't think that will work at all, I think you will just end up with a mess, but that is his contribution.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:02 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Yeah pliers to grab onto the metal part she's talking about since there's no glass left. There's usually that part that sticks up where thing in the middle sticks up from...I have no idea what that's called
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:18 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• pliers only after you turn of the electricity.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 5:34 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• make sure they have rubber o the handels b cause theyre could still be electricity running to it just like when u unplg a radio with one of those red power lights on its still stays on even after u unplug it
    momoftwins423

Answer by momoftwins423 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 24, 2009