I maried a man that uses the word Jesus alot while talking, Now our 4 yr old says it while he's frustrated

How do I convince my son that this isn't "right" that Jesus is in the church...and how to tell my hubby that he needs to say Jesus in prayer not in a sentance!!!
Can a 50 yr old man change habits? My biggest pet peeve and plus I was raised that if you take the lord's name in vain you won't go to heavan. I very much want my son to respect the words GOD and JESUS!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• you cannot "teach" him something he doesnt want to learn hon. Your son is of course mimicing what dad says so he will not understand at that age why he cannot say it. He is too little to understand the whole"lords name in vain" thing...but tell hubby to try at least to stop, as it bothers you so much. Did he say this before you married him? Poeple can change but be patient some were not raised to respect it like you obviously do and he may be confused as to why its suddenly a big deal. Men hate to be told to change so word it carefully.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:56 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• teach him...cheese and crackers...or jimmy crickets! Everything is about practice and willingness. Your son will like it if you make it a cute game to same cheese and crackers. Your hubby...you will have to make a VAIN jar..everytime he says Jesus in vain make him put money into it for your son! Or something along those lines. GL hun
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 1:57 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• When my boys say Oh GOD .... I say where? where is He? They don't say it as much anymore :-)

You can do the same when your husband says "JESUS" then respond with where is he? Don;t do it in a mean way just as in a response when he says it! Or you can say Oh Jesus is here ! or something like that. It may get him to not say it as much and when your son sees daddy not to it he will stop as well.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:59 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• shaneagle777
    I do say, "Jesus, Jesus where??" or I say " I hope that was in prayer". I try to tell my son that you have to save Jesus for church..We live in a tiny town and the catholic church is across our back yard,the Luthern down the road and Baptist is next to the school. So yeah I Will point out when I'm not liking the way they are abusing the very word that I hold dear to my heart. My son knows the cross is for Jesus but he loves his dad and thinks it's cool to immitate him
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• yeah every time that he says it you should say Jesus is in heaven and you should only say his name when you are saying something good about him.. And for your hubby every time he says it I would say what did Jesus do to you why do you have to keep saying his name when you are upset.. Hope this helped....

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 3:28 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• First of all, Jesus doesn't mind and neither does GOD. We mind. They don't. Secondly, I agree with you that it's just not nice. And I agree with the tactic of making it out to be some kind of joke. Asking where Jesus is and then maybe offering a replacement word. We like "tarter sauce" thanks to Spongebob (LOL). And then the next time your husband is in a good mood simply ask him to TRY changing his "curse word" to something more appropriate. Same thing with your son but with your son you can be a bit more aggressive about changing his language. Jesus doesn't have to be saved for church but if you're going to call on him, it's much nicer to call on him in a nicer tone.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 7:06 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My husband used to do that when we were dating, it bothered me so much that he stopped. I don't even let my kids say o my god.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• IMO Jesus or God doesn't care about trivals like this. I like to think my Creator is concentrating on more important issues.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I think you should talk to DH about not saying it in front of your son. I know you don't like it at all, but start with him just not saying it around the kid, and eventually he can work on not saying it in and around other places. Baby steps, lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I told my daughter when she said God (yes we don't say OMG) "how would you like it if I said your name real loud and angry all the time?..at first you'd think someone is calling your name wanting to talk to you but then you find out they don't really want to talk to you or get your attention they're just saying your name with emptiness and how would she feel about that?" She said well I wouldn't like it! So I told her it's the same with with God and Jesus they don't like it when people use their names with anger. She was also 4 at the time too.
    eminelson

Answer by eminelson at 10:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2009