why does my son do this??

when it's just me and my family home with my son, or even at the store he listens very well. but it seems like anytime i have a friend over or someone else he doesn't know he acts out and doesn't listen to me. i took him with me and my boyfriend shopping today and he wouldn't listen to anything i had to say. he was running around the store like a monster! advice???

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 2:21 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it could be because he thinks u will not discipline him in front of others, or it could be at home he gets all the attn and other places he doesnt.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:22 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• There could be a lot of reasons. Jealousy. Wanting attention. Just because a child acts out for attention does not mean you're not paying enough attention to him already. It just means he feels he needs more or is upset over the attention you're paying another person (like your boyfriend). It doesn't mean he doesn't like your boyfriend either, he's just trying to get a reaction out of you so that you'll pay more attention to him than anyone else. My friend's 2.5 year old is like this. His mom plays with him all the time but the second she tries to have "me" time, play with his brother, have time with her husband or chat with me when I come over, he's running around screaming, throwing things, trying to jump on his infant sibling, climbing up on the TV stand etc. He could care less that the attention he's getting from her is negative when he does those things; he's getting her attention and that's all he cares about.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:26 AM on Mar. 24, 2009