Fair punishment?

Teens who tortured cat by setting it on fire could face up to 25 years in prison. Too tough or a necessary punishment? I say way to go for such strict punishment. They are old enough to know what they were doing, and whose to say they would stop at animal cruelty?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,510063,00.html

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 2:27 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It may seem too harsh from many mature adults/parents viewpoints, because we would never dream of making such stupid or horrific choices, but TODAY'S entitled children/teens DO need a serious wake-up call!

Maybe if this kid's peers saw the kind of punishment he may actually face, they will think twice before doing the same, unless they want to end up with the same fate.

Parents who think it's too harsh, are part of the problem in enabling "kids to be kids" without dealing with the seriousness of the situation or the consequences of their stupidity.

Yeah, it would suck to have to go to prison at age 17, and missing out on the "prime" years of one's life, but anyone who thinks at that age to do the things they did to get in the situation where they are facing that kind of prison time NEEDS a harsh consequence!

Did any of you consider torturing animals or driving drunk when you were 17-19 years old?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• i definitely think that's a fair punishment. they're teenagers who should know better. unless they are mentally disabled or something along those lines, they shouldn't have done it.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 2:30 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I think it's a bit much. I've seen so many cases where child abusers get so much less of a punishment, I'm not saying that two wrongs make a right, but teens do stupid STUPID things. A year in prison should teach them a lesson without ruining their lives.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:33 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I say it is too harsh. Imagine being 17 years old and getting out of prison at 42? You missed the end of high school, you missed college, you missed the years where people normally get married and start a family, you missed the years when people normally start a career and establish themselves and money for their future and retirement. How are you supposed to be a productive member of society at 42 when the last time you were even IN society was at the age of 17? Should I think they should be punished heavily for what they did? Absolutely. 25 years of my tax payer dollars to go to support each of them in prison when they'll be burdens to society when they get out? No thank you.

I also say it is too harsh because time and time again people who torture, rape and beat other HUMANS get far less time than that. Let's not set precidence that taking a cat's life yeilds more punishment than a human life.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:36 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I really agree with NovermberLove on this one. For the same reasons that she listed, I find these cases horribly heartbreaking. I know of someone who @ 19 drank alcohol and got drunk for the 2nd or 3rd time in his entire life, attempted to drive his girlfriend home and killed her and almost himself in a DUI accident. He got out on parole when he was 27, with no job skills and unable to function outside of an institution. It's so sad, two lives distroyed over a few moments of bad choices. Upon reading the story, I have to say it sounds like Cooper has a history of making bad choices, it probably would be smart to throw the book at him to save his future victims from crimes he will most likely commit.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I agree with anony :20
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I didn't follow the case, but if they showed no remorse and were willing to do this again~ then it was probably fair.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:14 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• grlygrlz2 I didn't follow the case, but if they showed no remorse and were willing to do this again~ then it was probably fair.
    ---------------------------------------
    I totally agree with this statement. I will also add that if they showed no remorse it might be a sign of deeper issues, maybe sociopaths in the making. Today they do it to an animal tomorrow to a human.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 8:33 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• No, I don't think 25 years for arson is outrageous. The cat is incidental in this case - they are Darwin Awards waiting to happen.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:51 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• At first I thought idk thats harsh but I have to agree with grlygrlz.Also anon talking about giving a wake up call to our youth who do these types of things that is a good point.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:59 AM on Mar. 24, 2009