Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I hate bothering you fellow moms but I need some advice/help!

I have been wanting to ask this for a while but I said I would wait til I got news about it. My ex sends child support but NEVER on time. I finally decided to go to child suppport and request an order. They came up with an amount of $632 although he was sending me $400 and I was cool with that but he was ALWAYS late. He contested the amount and now we have to go to court on April 20th. Have you ever gone through this? I believe he has to pay more because he never spends time with him. Have you dealt with this? Suggestions on how to catagorize expenses? I will leave this question up til tomorrow night because I really need some input. Thanks!


Asked by Gigi1969 at 2:49 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 3 (22 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (19)
  • I think going through child support enforcement is the best way to go. You won't have to deal with him or keep wondering when the money will be coming in. You also won't be worried about him holding it back altogether.
    My child support order back in 1990 was for $420 per month and it stayed that way until she turned 18. I went to a court to get the order and when he wouldn't pay I took the court order to child support enforcement and they took care of it. The only time I wasn't able to collect from him was when he went on disability for 6 months, but he had to pay the arrears.
    By the way, they ended up taking it directly from his wages because he would not pay willingly.
    You are doing the right thing. Do not worry about the outcome. And you will not have to justify every little expense - just provide your income, the basic costs of living, and he has to provide his income.
    Best wishes!

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:32 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

  • I dont need my ex or his money. but good luck at court.

    Answer by HelloKitty86 at 2:51 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

  • The amount is based on his income. In my state its 16%. My ex only works partime and is in school. I know he does it to keep from paying. I get 50.00 big ones a week!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

  • How very helpful of you HelloKitty!!

    I am not going through this, but is this per month? Are you worried that maybe it is too much?

    Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:56 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

  • it wasnt meant to be rude. sorry.

    Answer by HelloKitty86 at 3:01 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

  • wow Anonymous lame a whole 50 way better then most i get 107$ a month.. it is based on what he makes and what you makes.. and honestly i wouldnt worry about it to much.. he has to have a good reason to lower it.. and its not bases on if he sees him or not.. only way that plays in is if he has him alot then he pays less.. my babys dad never ever sees her, and i get what 27 a week..
    even if they lower it by 100 or 200 your still getting a good amount

    Answer by miss_nevin at 3:01 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

  • I needed HELP hellokitty not your opinion!

    Bridget, I was cool with th $400 but he was always late and he makes good money from a security business I helped him start. He owns 2 houses and rents 2 offices and has many clients pay him under the table. He has even told me on the phone he doesn't report all of his income and I may get screwed. I wish I would have recorded him.

    Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:04 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

  • Yuck, I am doing this now too. I actually just mailed my paperwork in today. My ex was supposed to pay 414 a month. He's never paid a dime and it has finally caught up with him. Since they suspended his license, he wants the support reduced to $25 a week due to "decrease in income/ loss of job." I can't go to court, I'm married and live 2,500 miles from the courthouse. So I just filled out some paperwork and I'm going to call into the mediation room during the court time (unfortunately that will be 5am my time!)

    From what I understand, it's all based on a formula. So it really shouldn't be too stressful.

    Answer by toriandgrace at 3:07 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

  • for real you should worry about it.. if he has two homes they will make him pay for real, he has to put that on the papers.. i wouldnt worry at all you wont get less then the 400 just tell them and show them checks or whatever of what he was paying before if they go lower then that... its normal for men to fight it.. wouldnt worry if i was u and if you are bring bills for childcare ect and he has to pay part of that.. now if he makes more then you he has to pay more then half ect.. he cant get around it.. if they set 600 something they are setting that off what the IRS says he makes he has to have good reasons to pay less he cant just get it lowered cause he thinks its to much.. for real just been true this and i worried too.. but i make more then he does..

    Answer by miss_nevin at 3:09 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

  • Every state varies on laws. I have researched this and I even received a paper from child support asking me what percentage of time the non-custodial parent spends with their child. Yes, here in California they do take that into account.

    Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:09 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

Next question in Just for Fun