how come one bad thing is more powerful then one good?

I mean, I have gotten a lot of great comments from people on my photography business and skills...but there was a few people who nit-picked everything and for some reason I can not shake that feeling it gave me. I feel less confidant now. Why can't I just be happy with the people who liked it a shoo away the ugly responses i got?

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 3:28 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Maybe because most people are raised to be polite and not to hurt anyone's feelings, we tend to take compliments and often write them off as someone "just being nice." So when someone comes along who is critical, it's shocking and kind of reinforces our feelings about the compliments - they were "just being nice" and this other person is being honest. I think it's how we're conditioned against becoming conceited over complitments.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I think its simply that some of us don't take criticism well. I don't mean that in a bad way. Some people don't necessarily get angry but could be hurt by it. Besides even the greatest things in life get criticized. Take Mariah Carey for example. I cannot believe anyone can deny that she has one of the most beautiful singing voices in the industry, but they do... Maybe don't ask what people think if it might hurt your feelings because no matter how cool your website is, someone is bound not to like it. Don't sweat it. Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and some are pretty nasty!
    ericadrian

Answer by ericadrian at 3:42 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• The constant need for validation from our peers. Even strangers. You are an artist. You shouldn't be asking anyone's opinion. The vision is yours and yours alone. Now your customers can decide whether or not they appreciate your work, want to hire you, or find someone else.

Yet, It is up to you. You can look at your work, knowing the areas that you need to improve on. Why are you really asking others? Is it for true feedback or the compliments? Don't allow yourself to be insecure. Be confident and embrace the spirit within.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 3:43 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• You are an artist and as such you will have people that love your work and people that seem to tear you down. Develope the screw them attitude. You can not and should not change your art to suit anyone, otherwise it is not art. Then it is based on someone elses work, not you the artist. Don't worry about it. YOU are the talent.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:52 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• ok ladies thanks!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:52 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• That is human nature. Just remember art will always be subject to personal interpretation and you will always have critics. Look at Picaso, I don't get the whole abstract art thing, do noses go on the side of ones face, do women need three breasts? He is famous as hell. Just because I don't really appreciate his style does not mean it is not awsome. Keep your chin up.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:33 AM on Mar. 24, 2009