what can i do to make my 2yo eat and chew?

i have a 2yo that is not interested in eating at all. he does not chew but swallows, at the end of the day, he usually spits the food out. he has been like this since he was weaned from breastfeeding, i tried to give him pediasure so that he could gain some weight but he refuses to drink them.
i have tried to make meal time - fun, i av sat him to eat with me but still, he hates eating. anytime he is hungry, he cries but still turn away from his food. also, he cant feed himself because of all this and anytime i encourage him to self feed, he throws the food away. honestly, i dont know what to do cos i'm starting work next week and i'm scared the daycare might not be able to do the job for me. also, he is still babbling up till now, he call a few names, and i cant understand him at all. pls what can i do to make him eat, chew and talk.

temitope24

Asked by temitope24 at 3:40 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My children both had speech delays, and the speech therapist that we saw was also a FEEDING specialist! I had never heard of a feeding specialist before, but she worked with children EXACTLY like your child! Children who have difficulty chewing and swallowing almost always have speech issues (articulation and/or delayed). You need yo use your tongue for both.

Call your pediatrician, tell them your concerns, and request that you be given the name of your state's Early Intervention case worker who will arrange for evaluations and a therapist (if it turns out to be appropriate) to address your child's needs.

All states with Early Intervention programs cover children until the age of 3 for FREE, and will come to your home.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:08 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I would talk to his doctor about this. My first son had some problems similar to this and it turned out that the muscles in his tongue where not developed right so he has to have special speech thorpe to help. It ended up helping his eating issues too.

joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 8:13 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I agree---talk to the doctor and maybe get him evaluated. It honestly sounds like something that needs to be addressed by professionals.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:53 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• i will check if the early intervention program i9s done in CA. thanks everyone.
    temitope24

Answer by temitope24 at 12:54 AM on Mar. 25, 2009