Baby sleeping at night

My four day old sleeps all day (when people are coming over to see her), but then wants to stay awake from 3am-7am. She wont calm down at night unless she's being bounced or walked around. Usually doesn't cry unless you lay her down. Do all newborns sleep during the day, but not night? Is there something I can do to get her to sleep at night more?

doubleyouteeeff

Asked by doubleyouteeeff at 5:45 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try keeping her awake during the day; no nap or anything. My son did the same thing. I kept him awake all day and he slept better at night. It only took a couple of days to get him on a semi normal schedule.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:47 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Newborns needs their sleep, I wouldn't advise forcing her to stay awake. It sounds like she has her days and nights mixed up. My doctor recommended making sure if she's sleeping during the day to keep the lights on and wake her up at least every four hours (maybe change her diaper or feed her)., At night keep the lights lower or off if you can. It will take awhile for her to adjust but don't worry it will get better. My baby boy is two months and now sleeps 4-5 hours a night, usually 12-5am. Which is pretty good for young babies.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 6:34 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• She does wake up every 2 hours to feed and the lights are kept on in the day. We also keep the lights as low as possible at night. She's acting like she's fighting something. Kicking her legs and making grunty sounds. I tried to burp her, but she didn't burp. She did spit up though. She spits up a lot. Doctor said it's normal for newborns.
    doubleyouteeeff

Answer by doubleyouteeeff at 7:01 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• my first baby was like that...she would be awake from 12am to 5 am...everynight..I finally was told to keep her awake for like 30 minutes to 2 hours after each feeding or as long as you can until the baby gets too fussy then let them go back to sleep..but do it every feeding and then they should sleep in the night...it worked with my babys...or try a piece of lettuce under the crib or just in the room where baby sleeps..its a OLD remedy my mother in law told me..which helped also..
    TalindasMommy

Answer by TalindasMommy at 10:32 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My son was that way for his first 2 weeks. A week ago he seemed to figure out when day was. He still wakes every two hours to nurse but he doesn't stay awake, or even open his eyes at night.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Not all babies do but many do. It doesn't usually take too long for them to switch over. People are of different opinions about whether you can do much to change that. We didn't force our baby to stay awake during the day, because they need their sleep. We just made sure that the room was always dark at night and talked to her and interacted as little as possible during the night hours. (Fed her, burped her, changed her, but without talking). She was switched over in no time.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:07 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• If she's only 4 days old, why don't you swaddle her. She is probably kicking due to the fact that she has little muscle control! Our babies are 2 months and they are sleeping in their swaddlers and they sleep great! She is used to being all cozy and snug in you. Mine used to wake themselves up flailing until we began the swaddlers.
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 11:31 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• my baby did the same thing. let her sleep. keep lights on during the day and keep them off during the night. try to keep her naps to 2 hours if you can. I tryed to keep my baby up during the day so she can sleep during the night and at the end i ended up with out sleep for 36 hours. get a swing and see if she would like to be rocked by the swing and let you relax a littel bit. to get baby on the schegule at this age is almost imposible they just way to yaung. make sure you sleep when your baby sleeps and let everyone else do things around the house. it will get easier trust me. let me know how everything turnes out.
    DaryaK

Answer by DaryaK at 2:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My baby did the same thing. Swaddle swaddle swaddle! He'll be fussing and we swaddle him and he immediately calms down. Also try co sleeping. We weren't planning on doing it but it gets him to go to sleep easier knowing someone is there. Congratulations! She is beautiful!
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 6:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• With our three, I never forced a quiet house during the day. I never deliberately woke them, but I would vacuum, do laundry, run dishwasher, play music or tv on. Eventually they will get their nights/days straight.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 8:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2009