is it ok? will the baby be ok?

so i went in for my sono on yesterday and the doc said that all looked great with the baby. he said that i was 8wks 6days. but when he said that the baby was 8 weeks. it bothered me. he said that all is great but why is my baby only 8weeks if i am 8wks6days? I mean is there something wrong that he is not telling us or something? we say the heartbeat and it was very fast. so we know that its alive in there. please help my lmp was 1-20, i believe i ovulated on 2-5 through 7.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's just an estimate, not always accurate.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• On a sono, whatever the baby measures is generally considered accurate plus or minus about 6 days. It's not an exact science. Your baby is fine! Congratulations and relax - don't stress out about the small stuff. Next time things don't seem to gel with you at your appointment, though, you shoudl ask your doctor. That's what they're there for. I am sure if you'd asked your doctor would have been happy to explain the apparent difference in gestational age.
    Abilyn

Answer by Abilyn at 8:27 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• sonos are completely unreliable. well, not COMPLETELY, but...whatever.

the DAY my son was born, i had a sono. they told me he looked to be about 6lbs. when he came out, he was 7lbs,6oz.

as a PP said, it's just an estimate. and of course, all babies are a little bit different.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:39 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My sono said my son was due on 2/1/09 and I had him in the same week I KNEW I WAS DUE, Jan. 9th... They can be wronge and usaly (SP) are.... Stop worring and enjoy your little belly turn into a HUGE belly, lol! Good LUCK!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• when the sonogram is 2 weeks and less off (early or late) there's no reason to worry.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 9:49 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• POSTER~~~~~~~~~
    THANKS LADIES I WAS WORRIED. I WANTED TO ASK MY DOC BUT HE SEEMED LIKE HE WAS IN A HURRY TO LEAVE SO I DID NOT HAVE A CHANCE TO. I THINK THAT I AM GOING TO CHANGE DOCS TO SOMEONE WHO WILL TAKE THEIR TIME WITH MY HUBBY AND MYSELF. THANKS AGAIN LADIES :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Sonograms aren't always accurate...my doctor swore my 2nd daughter would be an 8lb'er because a month before she was born she weighed 5 lbs 12oz (according to the u/s) but when she was born she was only 5lbs 15oz and 18 inches long...preemie clothes were too big for her. Now she's 4 and a healthy 32 lbs.
    sassygoddess

Answer by sassygoddess at 10:15 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• the sonogram in the first trimester is usually more accurate then later in the game. far more accurate then going by an LMP. So if the sonogram says your baby measures 8 weeks, things are good, and you probably are only around 8 weeks pregnant (give or take a few days). After around week 13 the sonograms are off by a lot because they base it on a standard that isn't true for many women. They can be off by 2 weeks either way, and by 2 lbs either way. Which is why the moms in the previous posts had inaccurate weight estimates. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:31 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Don't let your Dr make you feel rushed. You're paying them and you can take all the time and ask all the questions you need to.

natalieg

Answer by natalieg at 10:44 AM on Mar. 24, 2009