Divorcing...with a shared credit card account...

Well, I'm happily divorcing a creep and we only share a credit card together. I haven't told the lawyer yet, but what should I expect...will he be liable to help me pay it off? How does the shared accounts work when divorcing? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• Depends on how your divorce papers end up being written. In most cases the account is closed and the amount due is split between the 2 parties. I would definitely be closing the account immediately so he can't be messing with your credit. If you talk with the credit card company they can transfer half the balance to another account with just your name on it for you most the time. That is what happened with mine since I couldn't pay it in full at the moment.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• You both will be responsible and it should should be closed as well.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• You can either split the debt in your divorce decree or one of you can assume it and pay it off that way. Just depends on what you want.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:29 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Pay it and close it asap!! I had an ex and he was an approved user 5 years ago.....and a month or so ago a charge from something came up on it that was his. Had to go through the fraud alert, etc to get it off. But you'll both be responsible. Tell your lawyer so he has to pay half. Then close it close it close it
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:38 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Me personally. I would take the credit card and take him off the card. Just so I wouldn't have to deal with him anymore. And to stop him from ruining my credit .

Answer by louise2 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• CHECK OUT THE LAWS IN YOUR STATE FOR SUCH A SITUATION BUT FOR THE MOST PART THE LIABILITY BELONGS TO BOTH.

Answer by older at 11:51 AM on Mar. 24, 2009