Advice PLEASE

Help! I'm going back to work after two and a half years now with 2 boys to put in daycare and I don't know where to start. I need to make enough to actually bring home something after paying for child care. Right now I'm looking at $250/wk. not sure if I can do that much. Any ideas?? Home Daycare? Good babysitters? Anything that's cheaper?

autumn_dunlap

Asked by autumn_dunlap at 9:32 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• How old are your boys? If they are preschool age 3+, you might want to try your local YMCA, community center or local Head Start program. I know that in PA, where I live, the Y and Head Start offer preschool programs plus extended morning and afternoon childcare for working parents. I think you're going to find it is going to be expensive to find childcare--especially for two children.

I don't want to scare you, but just keep in mind, you get what you pay for! If you find a cheap child care facility, you might quickly learn why they are so cheap! Look for a state licensed/accredited program, and ask other moms for their suggestions.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:40 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I provided day care instead of working outside of the home. It cost me more to pay for day care, commuting, etc. than to just stay home. When the kids were school age I provided before and after school day care and walked kids to school and home and my days were free for cleaning, shopping, errands. Charged a price that allowed other parents affordable day care and allowed me to stay home. Summers and holidays I had kids all day, but charged a bit more. Those were really fun days.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 9:44 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Check into what assistance your state may offer you, but don't expect too much. In FL there was a program called... CDS or something, and it offered a discount on childcare based on your income. But they have strict limitations on what you can be making, so be sure to get all the info you can on it.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 11:14 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Check into Title XX if they have it in your state, I did this while going to college and my hubby was Active Duty Air Force and we got a big discount on child care. I think you would go to your local DSHS for that.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Wow! It's so tough when the daycare is eating so much of the money you've earned. If you would be open to doing something from home that would allow you not to have to pay or have daycare, I would love to chat with you. It might or might not be for you, but it definitely worth investigating. Feel free to sign in at www.HealthyHome4All.com and I will give you a call and chat a little to see if this might be a better option!
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 5:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Thank you so much for all the advice, you all have given me some good ideas. thanks so much!
    autumn_dunlap

Answer by autumn_dunlap at 8:05 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Looking for ways for Making Money from Home.? When you know the answers to these questions it is a lot easier to find things you love to do that will bring you income because you are passionate about what you do.

1. Who are you and what do you want in life?
    2. When is the last time you paid attention to what you want?
    3. Do you adapt to change or attempt to hide from it?
    4. What are your strengths and do your strengths bring out your passion in life?
    5. What are your weaknesses and do your weaknesses hold you back in life?
    6. Do you find yourself hiding so others do not see your weaknesses?
    7. What is the future you see in your mind, how is the future different from right now and what do you like about the future?
    8. What are your dreams and are they really your dreams or someone else's?
    9. Do you pay attention to the desires in your heart?

Email me at dreamteam@bealegacy.com for a list of ideas for work at home.
    LegacyKimberley

Answer by LegacyKimberley at 3:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2009