Gym Etiquette?

So we went to the YMCA for the first time yesterday. (go us!). Can anyone tell me a little about Gym etiquette? How long should you stay on a peice of equipment until your being rude? what about the treadmills, elipticals, stationary bikes?
Anything else a newbie may need to know that may keep you from making Gym enemies.. or maybe make a few Gym friends?

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 9:37 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• One last thought--DO NOT STAND there and talk to a person on a cardio machine who is trying to get a work out in!!!! I have had people I barely know want to stand by me while I am on the stair stepper and talk!!!! UGH!!!!

AND wear modest workout wear--no one (well, maybe a few guys:-) wants to see your butt hanging out of 70's shorts (this is the worst when older guys wear them!) And it has been said that just wearing a sports bra is poor taste--I agree--get a little cover up tank.
    I know a lady who teaches pilates and she would show up to Mass (church) in her work out wear--seriously--with her tight little spandex pants and sports bra--and hair looking like she never combed it--and she got upset when people complained!!!! Go figure and ENJOY!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• LOL--Our Y posts a little sign to limit the cardio machines to 20 minutes if you know more people are waiting. If there aren't people--go for it:-)
    Do not sit on a weight machine during your rest period IF you know another person wants to use it. It can be a pain because then you have to adjust everything again....but.....
    Rack Your Weights when you are done with free weights:-)
    If using free weights, don't leave them in the way while you are in between reps if you go and get a drink of water.....
    Usually on the free weight racks, you can leave your weights between reps--it is so much easier!
    And don't make noises like you are giving birth when using weights--this usually a guy thing:-))))
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Our YMCA is fairly lenient about the cardio machines. They have a 30 minute rule during peak hours. There is also a magnet that someone can grab from the machine and one it's been grabbed you have 30 minutes to finish..So, it will depend on the Y. Usually the rules are posted.
    Also, wipe the machines down with wipes afterwards. I know it's common sense, but I see people dripping sweat who just hop off and go elsewhere.
    Don't talk on your cell phone if there is a no cell phone sign posted. It's rude and nobody wants to hear your conversation.
    IF there are TVs attached to the cardio machines, turn them off afterwards.

I have been going to the Y for over a year and those are some things I notice while I work out. I don't do much of the free weights, just the circuit training.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:12 AM on Mar. 25, 2009