Verticle gardening

Has anyone had any luck with this? I am thinking of trying it out this year due to limited yard space and limited sunlight. What have you grown and how did it go? I am going to try beans, cukes, and a hanging basket of strawberries. Any input would be appreciated.

salexander

Asked by salexander at 9:55 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Home & Garden

• For the cucumbers and beans, a simple string or thin metal garden stake willl do. Make it 4 to 5 feet tall. Then simply wrap the plant around the support once a week if it doesn't wrap itself.
    There are lots of good books for vertical gardening and other space saving tricks. I like Square Foot gardening.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:50 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Is that the plantings in a basket? If so I had one last year for tomatoes and strawberries. The tomatoes grew fine and gave a really good harvest but the berries basically died. Oh well live and learn I say.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Well for the most part it is growing things on a trellis made of wire. So everything grows up rather than out to save space. The berry thing I just read about online. You are supposed to be able to plant 24 strawberry plants in a sphagmom (sp) moss basket and it is supposed to yeild for three yrs. I am affraid to risk that one but I may just try it because I hate the fact that I cannot have my own strawberries.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:11 AM on Mar. 24, 2009