How many know what a Purple Heart means?

My daughter is doing her clinicals for nursing school at the local VA hospital. She texted me last night rather disgusted and txting "This is what is wrong with America!" . She told me her patient was a Purple Heart recipient. . She mentioned it to the other nursing student who asked her what that was!!My daughter told her it was a medal of honor--the other student then asked what she meant by that!!! She had to explain the meaning of it. She was so disgusted that an "educated" student had no idea what a Purple Heart signified. What do they teach in our schools?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My father has two from his service in Vietnam. I am very familiar with them. My sister's exhusband holds one as well for his service in the action in Kosovo.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Nothing having to do with patriotic duty and honoring those that protect our freedoms. It's sad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• It is a medal of honor presented to any active duty member of any us military branch by the President of the Us for endangering thier life to save anothers life or a whole platoons life.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 10:12 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Sadly, schools have become so liberal, and liberals do not support war for ANY reason, that that part of American history is eliminated from text books and discussions.

This is just one example of why it is critical for parents to SUPPLEMENT their children's education by taking them on family "field trips," going to the library and reading about American History by the REAL military veterans, and discussing these things at home.

Parents owe it to their children to learn whatever subjects their children are studying at school, and take it upon themselves to learn and teach their children more!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Thank YOU!!! I am glad to see there are some that still know and acknowledge the sacrifice--whether we agree or not with whichever "war"---our military deserves our respect and support.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• anon at 7:13!!! Thank you
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 10:17 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My dad also received 2 Purple Hearts for his service in Viet Nam. As a child I thought they were really cool.  As an adult, it puts a lump in my throat and brings tears to my eyes when I about the horror he faced then and the horror facing our soldiers now. God bless those who have served, are serving and will serve.

Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 10:21 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Heart_Medal

Teachers and parents aren't doing their jobs. SAD!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My Grandfather received one. At his funeral his fellow Army buddies explained to me and my siblings the meaning of "VALOR Displayed in combat". We learned more that day than ANY history lesson. I wish high school students could receive history lectures from those who have served. But alas, I think there are "SOME" who would attempt to portray any such lectures sadly as some sort of propaganda for recruitment. :::::::sigh:::::::::

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:33 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Grlygrlz2 this is a story I think you will enjoy. The year before I graduated high school, at the graduation ceremony, our school presented 7 WWII Veterans with their high school diplomas. There were never able to graduate before since they left school to serve. They had a course similar to a GED program and then these 7 Veterans had an Honor Guard escort to the stage so they could walk and get their diplomas. I got to command that Honor Guard! It was one of the most inspiring things I have been a part of.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:39 AM on Mar. 24, 2009