Has anyone sent their kids to vision therapy, and if so, have you had any luck getting the school district to pay for it???

My son is classified as having Specific Learning Disability, but we believe his issues are mainly perceptual and can be fixed with vision therapy, which we have been doing for 8 weeks now. The school board refuses to pay for it, my next step, which I don't want to do, is get a lawyer.

KrisNJ

Asked by KrisNJ at 10:10 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I did vision therapy as a kid, alot of it we did at home with instruction from the eye therapist and we would only got to therapy to be checked for progress. Not exactly sure if it is the same thing, but we did things with lying on the floor and following a ball, balance board and balance beam. The school did not apy for the therapy and Im not sure why they would. It seems like a medical condition that your insurance should be responsible for.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:41 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I'm with ria... never heard of a public school paying for medical conditions.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Well, it's actually for neuromuscular and perceptual issues, and isn't considered medical (ask my insurance, who also refuse to pay), as there is nothing wrong with the physicality of his eyes or nerves. Some schools provide this service, not mine. It's not different than providing occupational therapy or speech therapy. Meanwhile...it's a struggle considering it is about $6,000.00.

KrisNJ

Answer by KrisNJ at 11:37 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My insurance pays for it
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2009