Does the SAHM "suffer" more?

please don't turn this into drama, I'm just wondering what your thoughts are. Do you think SAHMs suffer the turmoils of marriage and family issues more than working moms because their whole focus is the family and home they don't have work to distract them so they bear every load even small ones..?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• I wouldn't call it suffer. Yes it it true that there is 'no escape' but I enjoy every moment.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:13 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Oh yea, I agree with you, cause I know when I had a job I was a much happier person lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• No. I don't think so because where there is a will there is a way. If you want to get some "me" time you will find away. The only person holding you back is yourself. So I have to highly disagree and say no. (I have been a SAHM and a working mom)
    Anonymous

• I don't think it's harder I think it's just different. I also think SAHM's get less credit for the things we do do because it's the things that just "have to be done" No one really understands the difficulty of being in either side of this topic unless they are there. Moms who work still have all the house work and chores when they get home SAHM have to manage everything and I personally put a lot of stress on myself to manage working at home, getting the house chores done, and spending quality time with my son. It's a balancing act no matter how you look at it.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 10:16 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• you do notice more things because you're there, you're the backbone of the household, but we're built to handle it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I loved my time as a SAHM. I am actually worse now that I work because my husband and I work alternate shifts. I am essentially a single mom during the day, and then my husband is a single father at nights. We are very rarely together. I don't know how old your children are, but maybe you can look into doing some volunteer work while they are in school or finding something you can do with them or maybe while your partner is home. That way, you get a chance to do something that you feels contributes outside the home, your children see a good example, and you can get that time away from the house.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:19 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• SAHM has 24 hours in a day to be home and get things done. While working moms have 8 hours at work (SOME 12 depending on the profession) and has to fit everything the SAHM does in about an 8 hour period. I think working moms has is ALOT harder. I too, have been on both ends!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I don't think so either, I think it is harder to hold the family roof up when you are a working mom.
    There is less family times and less time for anything.
    I think some of the stress for the SAHM's are the DH's that think they do not do anything.
    I was a sham and now I work, there is just not enough time in the day for your family when you
    work...I cherrish my weekends..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:20 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• No I don't think so at all. I do think that a SAHM can "suffer" from loneliness, even though she's constantly surrounded by little people. But I think that the benefits of getting to be a SAHM are a lot better than the cons of having to leave your home when you don't want to.

I think regardless of whether you are a SAHM or WOHM, you are the backbone of the household. Sure dad is there(typically speaking) but no body can fill the role of MOM better than the mom can. We run our households.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:21 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Both have their own type of stresses. I had a more difficult time working because there were the stresses of work during the day then the stresses of home in the evening. I merely had twice the amount of work to do because there was no one to pick up the slack. I felt like I could never keep up and there was not enough of me left at the end of the day or weekends for my family. IMO staying at home is a full time job- more than full time. It is only easier if working outside the home gets you a pass on other chores - like it does for men. If there is someone to share in cooking, laundry, driving kids, shopping, then maybe it would be nice, otherwise just a burden.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 24, 2009