Any ideas what would make my CD drives to stop reading disks on my computer?

I keep getting an error message that there is no disk in the drive - very frustrating

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• Your disk drive is dirty or the disk itself is damaged or dirty (from dust, oils, etc). You can buy lens and disk cleaners wherever you buy disks. I bet after you do that, your discs and disc drive will work fine!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:31 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• YES! iTunes!
    My niece got one of those "i-things". I plugged it in and the "i-thing" downloaded the program it needed. I think it's iTunes store. When I was done and I uninstalled it - bye bye drives. The next time I plugged in the "i-thing" it downloaded the "i program" again and my drives were back.
    Of course the program takes up space and will make your computer run like it's stuck in the mud, so I don't want it on my PC and Apple is no help what so ever.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 12:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• We had that happen at work, we always get monthly cd updates for one of our programs , and they switched to DVDs, and our drive would not read it because it was a cd drive only. We had to get a new drive put it. Check and see if the disc you are using is a cd or dvd. if it is dvd, that may be your problem. If it is cd, maybe try cleaning the drive, or it may have just went bad.
    Anonymous