First time at the beach - Four month-old baby

Hey all...I need a break after going back to work and I'll be taking my four month baby to the beach for the first time. The hotel has a nice pool, too. So, what should I bring? My baby was a water birth and she loves the water. Can she swim in the pool? I'm terrified of forgetting to bring something or having her get sick or sunburnt...

ebacelar

Asked by ebacelar at 10:48 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Baby sunscreen and a wide brimmed hat to keep the sun out of babies eyes. I don't see why she couldn't be in the pool, but try to make sure she doesn't take a ton of water to the face that she might swallow. There isn't as much bacteria in pools as in nature because the chemicals are there to help kill it, but you don't want baby ingesting the chemicals either. I would take a big umbrella or canopy as well to provide some shade, and of course, a baby float for playing in the water! Have fun at the beach/pool!
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 10:56 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Sure your baby can go swimming---but even in warm weather, limit swims to 20-30 minutes at a time. Babies can still get chilled! LOTS OF SUNSCREEN--SPF 45+ I recommend Coppertone, reapply every few hours AND after swimming. Your baby should wear a hat with a wide brim that covers the back of the neck and ears-both in and out of the water. I highly recommend a sun umbrella, pop up shelter or getting creative with a towel over her stroller! The sun reflecting off of the sand and water can do just as much damage as being out in the sun--even on cloudy days!

Bring LOTS of swim diapers--hotels often do not allowed infants and non-potty trained children in the water without a diaper or with a regular disposable diaper on (Huggies makes disposable "Li'l Swimmers" that don't fill up--creating "duckie butt! LOL or you can buy reusable vinyl underpants under swimsuit), TOWELS, and small swim toys..watering can, chew toys, etc.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:02 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I would keep baby FULLY covered as much as possible. As in under an umbrella and even with long sleeve clothes on if you can find some light weight ones (you can get burned under the umbrella from the reflection off the sand!) This sounds paranoid but their sun is really sensitive. A half hour in the pool with sunscreen should be fine, but it's way too early for any real sun exposure. And a hat the whole time is a must. I don't know if I'd do a baby float that young... we just held our babies at that age. But maybe it's possible. I just wouldn't invest in anything since you don't know how she'll like it!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:03 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• It is NOT RECOMMENDED to use sunscreen on babies younger than 6 months. Keep her covered up as much as possible. Why you ask, because using sunblocks effects her ability to regulate her temperature by covering her pores. Even baby sunscreens are not recommended under 6 months. At about 6 months a baby can more efficiently regulate their own body temperature. You can use the sunscreen on exposed areas you can not covered up with clothes though, like hands and face. Be careful around her eyes. Always something to keep in mind. The sun's rays can penetrate water up to three feet, especially in a nice clear pool....Have FUN!!!
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 8:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2009