What is the best cruise line? And where is the best place to go?

I am planning a 50 year birthday cruise for my father
I have never been on a cruise so i would really appreciate your info
Thanks!

Goldenbrowny

Asked by Goldenbrowny at 11:04 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Travel

• well I am 50 and we have done both Royal Carribean AND Carnival. I liked Carnivals food better, the decor was very bright (garish) but nice people!!! some RCCL people are a little snobby. I liked the Island with mountains for land tours and the flat ones had better underwater scenes.
    It would depend on what kind of things your Dad would like and how active he is. WWW.cruisecritic.com is a good site or you could ask me specific questions. We have done 5 cruises and are looking forward to more!!!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:27 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I went on a Carival cruise in Nov of 07 and it sucked..
    the food stunk and the ship sucked...
    I wasted over 3 grand...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:41 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• To add to what Chefjen says: Some things to help decide - do you want to fly or drive to the port, how long a cruise, lot of ports or more sea days, what time of year do you want to go, a big ship or a smaller ship etc. Cruise critic is a great place to start researching what each line offers.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 12:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I have only done the Royal Carribean Cruises. I am planning my 6th with them in Oct. 2010. They are wonderful. I have heard that Carnival is more geared for the younger crowd. I am 24 now and still love the RCCL. They have somthing for everybody. Alot of things depend on the ship that you book with as well.
    As far as places to visit........I always loved Cozumel, Mexico. Bahamas is okay. But I think my favorite place was Peurto Rico and Jamacia.
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 12:28 AM on Mar. 27, 2009