What is an appropriate pet for a 2 year old?

My fiance and I have been thinking of getting a pet for my 2 year old son but we are doing a little research. We all want a dog and my son is obsessed with dogs, but is it too early to get a puppy??

PhotographyM0m

Asked by PhotographyM0m at 11:12 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Pets

• it depends on how much work you are looking to do -a two year old can't take care of a puppy but it could still be a good pet for him if you are wiling to commit to training it, feeding it, grooming it, and making sure it gets enough exercise.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• It's never too early for a dog... BUT they are a lot of work and 2 yr olds who haven't already had dogs don't know how to treat them & often times just end up torturing the poor things. So, with a dog you may end up spending 90% of your time disciplining your child (or letting him torture the dog --- like my cousins do, but that's another story).

If you want to shoot for more 'simple', my kids LOVED fishtanks when they were little (still do). Cheap, easy, little potential harm to pet or child as a result of the other, and kids just love to watch them swim around. AND it's easy to replace 'departed' fish before the kids notice.

Birds are good, too --- parakeets especially. They're colorful, talkative, playful, & (again) cheap. I'm 31 yrs old and can spend an hour playing with my mom's parakeets! LOL They get really mad when I move their toys haha... fuss at me & put them back.

G'luck!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:28 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I read that you should wait until a child is 5 to get a dog....but I don't know where I read that...I think the issue is that little kids don't know not to stick a fork in the dogs eye or pull its tail or jump on it...I wouldn't chance that with my 2YO, I wouldn't be able to trust the dog OR my son with the dog...I'd wait.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:37 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I think 2 is a little young for any pet. I would wait a few more years.
    Anonymous

• At 2 I don't really think there is ANY pet that is a good idea.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• if you're willing to do the work, then most definately get a dog. my mom got our dog when i was 9 months old and he died right before we turned 16..i have a 2 and 3 yr old and they like to help feed our now huge 8 month old puppy. im glad i got her when i did, she'll be more protective of the children. but if you're wanting a pet that your son has to take care of i would suggest a gold fish.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• frog
    three-for-now

Answer by three-for-now at 2:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• hamster....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• You should not give a pet to a 2 yr old.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 2:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Definately do Not do a hamster, or a mouse or rat becuase 2 yr olds dont constantly wash their hands and the little rodents will smell food on your little ones hands and bite them thinking they're food.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2009