Why is my daughter lying?

My daughter, four, has lately been making up stories that are happening at her pre school. I believe its because she's bored, but I don't know.
We've never had a behavior or listening problem before, in fact, the teachers tell me how polite & smart she is, & how great she is at art & helping. I've heard nothing negative other than she tends to be a pushover at times.
She turned four in January, but they don't have enough room for her in the next room. She always been one of the more advanced students in that room, according to her teachers. This may add to the problem?
She's telling me stories about her BFF biting her, pushing her, and tackling her. She is saying people are pushing her and hitting her and kicking her. She even told me that a teachers was hitting her back hard during rest time. None of these stories are confirmed by the teachers.
I don't know where to go with this. Do I punish or ignore?

lostangel8

Asked by lostangel8 at 11:24 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Kids this age don't understand truth and fiction. I agree with you. She is bored. She is making up stories to make her day sound more exciting, not necessarily things she wishes were true, but things that are "better" than the dull day she had.

To see if this is what is really happening, see if you can get her to alter the stories. Tell her that you know her day isn't that exciting and help her create a new make-believe friendly dog that lives in the classroom (for example). Then start her out in the morning by asking her what she thinks "Fred" will do that day. When you get her in the afternoon, ask her what fun things she did and ask her what "Fred" did. To help her learn the difference between truth and fiction, every once in a while (not every day) say something like "Wouldn't it be fun if dogs like Fred were real?"

Keep in mind that kids with good imaginations do better in school and life.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• it could be she only 4 and dont know or she has night mares or something did happen and a teacher wasnt around
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• i know this isn't my own personal answer..
    but i like the part about making sure your child knows the difference between reality and fantasy..

hope this helps:
    http://life.familyeducation.com/lying/toddler/53836.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• ....psst....tricky underwear....LOL Just kidding, I agree that she is most likely bored, she is a very imaginative little girl. Maybe she needs more to do?? Idk...
    laura7485

Answer by laura7485 at 12:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• When I was really little I used to lie all of the time about school. Turns out it was because I needed to be in more advanced classes and the classes I was in were just too boring for me. Maybe you should look into starting her in kindergarten a little earlier. If you can make a case for it, they'll approve. I skipped third grade because I was too smart for it :P

discokittten

Answer by discokittten at 1:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2009