Have you tried the homemade laundry soap? Need some feedback. Thanks!

I've read a lot about the homemade laundry soap and last month I made the first batch. When I searched for a formula for powdered soap, I found out there were many options. So I just tried the one I felt it was more convenient from the comments. But I am not quite content with the quality of it. The laundry doesn't come out as clean as I would like, hard soils for example are not completely clean. Just needed some feedback if you are using the homemade laundry soap. Here is the formula I used: 1 cup shredded soap bar, 1/2 cup borax, 1/2 cup washing soda. The recommended dosage for 1 laundry was 1 TBS and for soiled laundry 3 TBS.

r_b

Asked by r_b at 11:41 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Hard soil stains? I'd still pretreat those, no matter what laundry detergent I was using. I would also recommend using more detergent. I have a super capacity washer and I use 1/4 c. powder or 1/2 c. liquid. I find that I prefer the liquid....the ingredients go a lot farther. We like the homemade stuff, I've found that I need no fabric softener (I still use vinegar for smelly loads).
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• michiganmom116, thank you for your answer. Actually I have seen this true for stains in general- that they would not come out, some would, and some not. I have been wondering if the liquid is better, as when I prepared the powdered detergent, the ingredients especially the bar soap do not mix very well with borax and washing soda, though I put them on the blender. Would you please help me with a formula for the liquid detergent? Also how do you use the vinegar? Is this regular vinegar or cider apple vinegar? Thanks!
    r_b

Answer by r_b at 12:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I prefer the liquid homemade laundry soap. Here's one recipe for it:

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2008/04/09/making-your-own-laundry-detergent-a-detailed-visual-guide/

This is the one closest to the recipe I use but my recipe uses a little more washing soda and borax and 5 gallons of hot water.

momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 2:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• momof3inTN, thanks!

here is another question, what's the role of borax? Does borax acts as a whitening agent? If so, is it ok to use these recipes in colored clothes? Or do you add something else to protect colors?
    r_b

Answer by r_b at 2:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Your clothes are completely safe using borax, even bright colors.

The borax freshens, whitens and removes stains (it's also great for other uses around the house, just keep out of reach of children - look on the box for more cleaning ideas). Even though it whitens, it does not fade clothes and is totally safe to use with colors.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 5:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Here's my recipe for liquid laundry detergent.
    Hot water
    1/2 cup Washing Soda
    1/2 cup Borax
    1/3 bar Fels Naptha Soap (grated)

In a large pot, heat 3 pints of water. Add the grated bar soap and stir until melted. Then add the washing soda and borax. Stir until powder is dissolved, then remove from heat.
    In a 2 gallon clean pail, pour 1 quart of hot water and add the heated soap mixture. Top pail with cold water and stir well.
    Use 1/2 cup per load, stirring soap before each use (will gel).
    We use a clean kitty litter bucket with a top and stir it with a wooden spoon each day we use it.

I use white vinegar in my laundry but that's all I buy. You can also use apple cider vinegar. The smell disappears as the clothes dry. I put 1 cup vinegar in the wash water for smelly loads or you can also use 1/2 cup vinegar in the liquid fabric softener dispenser instead of liquid fab softener if you feel you need it.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I use the recipe on this site : http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm.  I double the borax and washing soda and have no problems with stains.  When it comes to stubborn stains, I always pretreat ahead of time! 

Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 9:50 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• michiganmom116, thank you. My question about the Fels Naptha Soap. I'm in Europe so I am using Italian ingredients. What would be the meassure of 1/3 bar of Fels Naptha Soap? The soap bar I use here is about 300grams (which would be a little less than 1 1/2 cup). How much is the Fels Naptha Soap?

Also your recipe calls for cold water. Can you please help me with a meassurment for this too? How much cold water?

Courtney610, thank you. I will check the link.

another question for all you moms here:)- a friend of mine wrote me to be careful as the homemade laundry soap might cause clothes to tear down. I am not sure if she has heard about such a thing or if she was just joking:) Just needed a second thought. thank you.

r_b

Answer by r_b at 2:34 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• well the link that Courtney610 sent had the meassure of the Fels Naptha Soap bar, is 5.5 oz, which would be 155 grams.

It is easier now for me to calculate the rest:)

so my other question now is if you've noticed the fabric of clothes to weaken and get torn or is this just a rumor of joke of my friend.

thank you

r_b

Answer by r_b at 2:42 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• No, I've not noticed the fabric of my clothing get weaker. It gets softer because there's no chemical residue after washing and drying them.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:36 AM on Mar. 25, 2009