Anyone else have a baby that cries a lot? How do you deal with it?

My baby is almost 11 months old and he cries a lot. Probably at least a few hours a day. It doesn't seem to matter if I hold him, distract him with toys, etc. Do any other mamas have this problem? What do you do to try to keep your sanity? Have you found any tricks to help stop the tears? Oh I should also add that he is on reflux meds and has tubes in his ears so I know these things are not the issue. And he has been a crier from the time he was born.

Galdarisimom

Asked by Galdarisimom at 11:41 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 11 months, I am not so sure that is normal Hon. Have you tried to talk to his Dr. It sounds like something is bothering him. You don't say how his diet is. It could be something about the meds he is taking. Definately consult his Dr. -Poor baby!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I have taken him back to the doctor and she says that some babies just cry more than others and there is nothing that I can do other than live with it. Ben is breastfed and I make his baby food. He eats a lot of veggies (except broccoli, he hates that) and fruits. He eats chicken and rice and noodles. I give him Cheerios too. He eats about 2 or 3 times a day and nurses around 7 to 8 times a day.
    Galdarisimom

Answer by Galdarisimom at 11:49 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• One of my kids was a crier. I never did figure out why. I just loved on her and tried to comfort her when she cried. She's actually still a crier at 7 though much, MUCH less, lol. She's a very emotional, sensitive child.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Just to be on the safe side, I would get a second opinion.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 2:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I know some babies cry more than others. But at 11 months old, hearing "few hours a day" alarms me a little bit, especially since it's inconsoleable. I would take your son to a different doctor for a second opinion. It is better to rule out all of the possible culpuits than to just label your child a "crier". Get a full-on evaluation to make sure there is no underlying problems. Until then, comfort, love, and reassurance is all you can offer. Get help from family/friends if the crying is exhaustive. Take a break, get out, so you have more patience for him. My son was extremely fussy up until he was 4 months. He still has his fussy days, but it's because he's teething or has gas. It helps me to know what is causing his discomfort.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 4:11 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Maybe you could also request that he is tested for allergies? He could very well be lactose intolerant. Maybe you should try to remove dairy from your diet and see if there's any change. Take calicum and vitamin suppliments. There are many milk and dairy alternatives. My aunt was allergic to -everything- as a baby, and she cried constantly. This is a simple fix, medication and diet changes helped her a lot. But the sad thing is they never thought to diagnose her until she was a teenager!
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 4:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2009