Why do you sit back and do nothing?

So I see a lot of posts on here about how not all christians are this, or that, and believe in the extremist views of say Jerry Fallwell, and Fred Phelps. And most of us who speak out against religion, are not speaking out against the moderates, but we are speaking out against the extremists. The one's who want to impose their views on everyone else, whether they agree with them or not. So why do the more moderate Christians just sit back and let those extremists give their religion such a bad persona? Why do you not speak up, and say your views are not my views, and I will not let you taint, twist, and distort my beliefs to suit your political agenda? That portrait of Christianity that they paint, is the only one that many people see. They are loud, they are out in the media spreading their views, and they make sure they are heard. Why are the rest of you just sitting back and letting them get away with it?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 11:54 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would suggest letters to the head of whatever denomination they follow and demand action. Demand that they stop misrepresenting the other followers. But that is me and I am not Christian.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Some of them don't but I have seen the ones that do, get viciously attacked by the extremists.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:11 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• The extremists are the loudest, as always. And to be honest, I haven't seen a lot of moderates in these groups. AND.. when they do speak up, they're often 'rebuked' by the loud righteous ones..
    Raintree

Answer by Raintree at 12:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Honestly....I think if they are moderately Christian, then it's hard for me to picture them caring anymore than moderately too. I know that wouldn't go for all of them....but this is how my family is. The just don't EVER talk about religion, and I don't think they think about it much either. I used to be this way. Then I became an atheist and still didn't really care about religion much....until I started realizing how detrimental religion can be.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• "rebuked" is that a way of saying hush?
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• rebuked sounds silly to me. who talks like that anyway?
    Anonymous

• as a moderate Christian i can tell you why. but let me turn the question around. why do moderate Atheists (not saying you are, i dont know) just stand by when the more outspoken Atheists talk about all Christians as idiot drones who need religion b/c they are weak? anyways...

i dont stand up in the media to spout off my values as a Christian b/c i dont like it when other ppl do that, so why would i do it? it drives me bonkers to see anyone on TV making Christians look like intolerant fools. but they have nothing better to do & imo i think they NEED that kinda attention. like they don't think they are being a "true" Christian if other ppl dont see that they are Christians. all too often the loudest Christians are forgetting why Jesus disliked the Pharisees w/ their public prayers & their "look at me" relationship w/ God.

cont
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Do not throw your pearls to swine for they will tear you to pieces. Something along those lines. Atheists and extremists are completely different people.Can anyone agree with me on that point? I personally do not think any of you ladies are bad people.Extremists are like swine. Wild pigs are the one of the most dangerous animals to get around. They do not have any plan or reason to attack they just come at you wildly. They are really nasty. Although I have heard some nasty replies and have said some myself.(I am sure.) Our arguments still come from what we each believe to come from a good place.(We just get angry and say hurtful things.) Extremists it would be completely a waste of time. They go to the extreme.They do not try to explain or want to talk about anything.They just lash out and tear you down as a person the best they can.

Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• i dont need other ppl to believe in Christ for me to believe in it...but sometimes i think the loud-mouth pushy Christians need to know they aren't the only ones. maybe it makes them feel better about their Christian walk OR they somehow got the idea that Jesus taught that "holy than thou" attitude is a good thing.

i do my best to call out hateful moms on CM but its just a waste of breath. they cant see how their actions disagree w/ everything Jesus' taught.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• IMO (no matter what you believe) those who are extremeists get more attention than those of us who practice moderation b/c of their extremity!

They take more drastic measures to get their word heard and will use any and all means necessary to do so.

Those that are moderate know that if we are to be taken seriously that we must present a balanced person both inside and out. If we were extreme then that would defet OUR purpose and our moderation.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2009