Getting baby to sleep through the night

I did the 'cry it out' method with my first son and it worked like a charm. My second son is now 6 months old and I tried it last night. He would cry himself to sleep, but then still kept waking, every 10-30 minutes, and would cry himself to sleep all over again. It seems like the amount of time he would cry was actually getting longer. I have searched and have not found any info on what to do if baby keeps waking and waking and waking. Am I supposed to just let him cry all night? Only found info on how long it took for baby to fall asleep. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!! Thanks!

spencefam

Asked by spencefam at 11:57 AM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give him cereal or a dinner kind of baby food like chicken and rice instead of a bottle before he goes to bed. I give it to my son and he sleeps through the night. Goes to sleep at 11pm and wakes at 6am. He's 5mths now so try filling him up 30mins before bedtime.
    CarsBars08

Answer by CarsBars08 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• sleeping through the night is a developmental milestone that all kids reach at different ages. My DS was 9 mos before he slept in 6-8 hour stretches
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• He might not be ready to sleep through the night yet. Was/is he still waking to eat? He very well could still be hungry at night.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I wouldnt let your baby cry through the night because it has been proven to leave emotional marks on your child when they get older. They need to be able to trust you and when they cry its because they need you and if you dont come to them then they feel abandonded. On the other hand I dont think you should run to his beckon call everytime he wimpers. let him cry for 10 minutes or so and then go in there and do what you need to do. comfort him or feed him etc. find out whats wrong with your baby because they dont cry for no reason. Babies always need something and thats what being a mom is all about. Your child will always trust you and have that closeness to you in the long run.
    casper4991

Answer by casper4991 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Have you read "The No Cry Sleep Solution"? I HIGHLY recommend it. It made a HUGE difference in my son's sleep. It offers tons of suggestions so you can tailor it to your family's needs.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:11 AM on Mar. 25, 2009