How do I help my daughter deal with a class bully?

My daughter is 3 years old and in daycare. She is only part time (3 days a week). They just moved a few of her classmates into the next class and tell me that, at this time, there are no open spaces for part time students. Well they moved in some more children from the lower class into my daughters room and now we have a problem. My daughter keeps to herself a lot, and the friends she made are now gone. This girl picks on her and it seems like every week something happens. Last friday she got bit and it left a very bad mark on her arm. Now yesterday she got bit twice and pushed by this same child. This is the 6th issue from my child getting pushed around, 3rd or 4th from this one girl. My daughter is a target for this type of thing, I think. She doesn't say much so they think they can push her around and get away with it. these children are only 2 or 3 so how can I help my daughter deal with this? do I pull her out? Help.

Savymom25

Asked by Savymom25 at 12:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would speak with her teacher and let her know that if your child is bit one more time by the same child that you will have no choice but to call in the owner of the day care and after that a lawyer. I worked in a day care center and there are ways to keep the kids seperated. Im sorry for your little girl.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I would let the school know that this is happening and that they need to address it. It is not way your daughters fault that this is happening and if they can not control this kid (BULLY) then they need to remove her from their care. Let them know that you are logging all this from the attacks to the conversation you are having with them and that THEY need to get this issued resolved. No child should be allowed to attend a day care if they are not able to be controlled.
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 12:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Make sure the teacher knows exactly what is going on. Tell her you want this to stop. Stop letting the other child control your daughter.  For instance, have the other child give her her space.  If you feel that the day care is not suiting your needs I would change. However, no matter where you go there will be bully's. This age I feel its ok to talk with the teachers however as your children get older you will be doing them a dis-service by stepping in.

Anonymous

• I agree with the previous poster...but maybe you could also take her in a little early a day or two and see if you can help her make friends by playing with her and another kid she gets along with in the class. Then she will have a buddy and feel comfortable again. But definitely go straight to the owner of the daycare and assert your concerns. My son kept getting scratched and bit just a few days in a row (I don't consider him to be the "target" type for that) and I said something and all of the sudden it stopped. When he first started the daycare there was a kid that would pull his hair and one morning the little turd pulled my son's hair and I made a comment about it and never got another report about it either. They know I'm not an over-reactor so when I voice a concern they know it's genuine. You are an awesome mom for paying attention to these things, your daughter will appreciate it I'm sure :)
    aidengrant07

Answer by aidengrant07 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2009