Potty Training?

How old was your child when you started? I believe my daughter is ready, she shows interest in the potty, she likes to try to "flush" it and will sit on it. I am just not sure how or even where to begin with it. This is my first time potty training. I know some people do the 3 day thing, others do the let your kid run naked. I just have no clue where to start. What worked for you? Where should I start? Do I need to get pull ups? By the way my DD is 22 months old.

mom2pres

Asked by mom2pres at 12:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If your daughter will sit on the potty, I'd give it a try.

The most basic method is to put her on the potty once an hour - all day long - until she accidently goes. Then make a big fuss over it. Keep taking her once an hour until she stays dry in between visits. Then you move to 1.5 hours or 2 hours but never longer than 3. Once she really has the hang of it, you can switch to simply watching for the "potty dance" or telling her it's time to go if it's been over 2 hours since she last went.

My daughter refused to sit on the potty until 27 months and we did the naked method. I didn't have the patience for the hour method and she would just go in her pants if she had anything on - diaper, pullup, or panites. Some girls respond to the "keep the princess panties dry", some don't. Mine didn't.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My first 4 children all potty trained around 2 yrs old. just during the day of course. My oldest 2 went threw the night pretty much right away the other 2 wore diapers at night till 4 and 5 but anyway. When I started with them I was very consistant about bringing them to the potty and having them sit every 10 to 15 min even if nothing happens and even if they only sit for 10 secs. It's more just trying to catch them at the right time so that when they go and get the praise enough times they realize the whole concept. I am also totally against pull-ups(at night they are fine) I have found that kids will take advantage and get lazy knowing that they are wearing a pull-up so i recomend straight up undies. It's definately a time consuming task and i wouldn't stress so much about night time as day time and another good thing to do is to bring a potty chair along in the car with you if you go somewhere like a park,lol!
    crazybiotch

Answer by crazybiotch at 12:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• McKenna decided to do it herself...just went on the potty one day. I never did any training with her and just let her figure it out. We didn't do pull-ups just regular underwear. From the time she first went to when she actually was completely out of diapers (except for nights)...it took about 6 months...but I didn't have to stress over getting her on the potty every 15 minutes or anything....and of course eventually she got the hang of it at 3 years, 3 months old. I'd say just do whatever you are comfortable with...I'm not a good teacher so I don't think I could have trained McKenna...but if you're really disciplined then go for it!
    fpraglowski

Answer by fpraglowski at 2:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2009