How would you handle..

if your husbands family treated your husbands two kids from a previous relationship better than they treat your child together?

She is 4months old and he gave the other two and my husband
$100 for Christmas and left our new baby and my two kids from a previous relationship out. He also went on vacation and came back with a couple souviners for the other two kids and nothing for the baby. My husband even asked if he could bring us a magnet cause we collect them, but he didn't. I don't care if he does stuff for me or not but it does make me feel bad that he leaves the baby out. Am I over reacting or do you think that is wrong? how would you deal with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I had to straight up tell both families all kids should be treated the same, no matter where they came from, you all are 1 family now, and if they can respect that, they don't respect you. I'd say something, when I did, they thought about it, and now everyone is treated the same.
    MrsG423

Answer by MrsG423 at 12:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I do think it's wrong but it's not really your place to put a stop to it. This is your husband's family doing this and he needs to step up and say something. Does he see that there is a problem? If not, you need to really talk about it and tell him how it makes you feel. He needs to man up to his family and put an end to this hurtful behavior. But you saying something isn't really going to help, at least not in my experience. Good luck.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 12:11 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Honestly I would wait till the baby was a little older before getting upset. But........your other two kids should be treated equally.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• If it's only about materialistic things, then you shouldn't feel to bad. If your husbands parents treat your kids differently- then I would be worried.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, it kind of sounds you are just being a little too dramatic. Your husband has other children not just yours. Besides, you knew this stuff going into the relationship. Did you think having a bay was going to change things? It doesn't Hon.
    Anonymous

• My husband has another daughter from a pre. relationship and at 1st he never did anything for our kids but we sat down and talked .He said he never thought about it .but his parents still have not excepted our 3 childern
    conniev564

Answer by conniev564 at 12:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Anon 10:13 I guess you think its ok to have your kids treated differently. I had my baby because my husband and I are in love and how was I to know the my child would be treated differently. Not every family would do that. FYI read the question before you answer it you sound ignorant.
    Anonymous

• I would hope that this doesn't continue when your baby is older.  At four months she doesn't really know the difference.  Do they hold the baby, talk to her and things like that??
    Those are the things that really matter. 
    Also the other children have become accustomed to being the only ones that they buy for and it may just be that they are thinking of them.  They might not be thinking of buying something for someone so small. 
    Right now I would relax if it's just the material stuff that is bothering you.  If they actually treat the baby differently, like not holding her than I would say something to my husband and have him talk to them about it.
    By the way how do they treat you? Do they treat you differently too??

~Missi

Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 12:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• *No, Missikat- he didn't even hold her and he had the nerve when she was being fussy to say in a joking way to (shut up)! very hurt right now with him and I just need advice on how to handle this situation.
    Anonymous

• Honestly, your other two kids aren't any really any relation to your husband's family. They don't have any responsiblity when it comes to them. It would be nice of them to care, but they don't really have to.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2009