How long can a person go without eating before doing damage to their body?

Since my husband told me two weeks ago he wanted a divorce, I have not been able to eat anything really and these last two days I have not eaten anything

lonelyandscared

Asked by lonelyandscared at 12:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• Try drinking an Ensure
    Anonymous

• The damage has already begun. When your body stops getting the normal amount of calories that it's used to, it goes into "survival mode" and starts to store fat in your fat cells and your fat cells multiply. You will lose weight at first and then when you start eating again you'll gain more weight and get bigger than you were before because you have more fat cells to fill. I know life must be hard on you right now, but not eating is not going to fix anything. I would suggest you talk to a therapist because divorce is like a death of a family member.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Your just like me.... Alot of people eat and eat when there depressed but Im the total opposite and will loose so much weight. Im so sorry to hear that he told you that. Can you guys not work it out? You definatly need to eat a salad and bread or something small and definatly drink some water. Please dont go all day without eating something. I dont have an exact answer to your ? but Im sure that your body will shut down on you at some point if your not giving it any nurtrion. Again, Im sorry and I hope your able to get through this.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• You are probably going to dehydrate if you don't have something. Drink some warm broth and crackers if nothing else. When my kids don't feel like eating after being depressed the smell of food cooking would help them have an appetite. Honey go see your Doctor, you may need meds for a short period to help you get through the rough patch. You won't have to be on them long. You need to eat and rest. Call friends and family right now and get out of the house.  Hang in there and take care of YOU right now.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Lonelyandscared,
    I know you're hurting. I've felt the kind of hurt before myself. I'm so sorry, I wish I could just give you a hug... You have to tell yourself that it won't hurt forever and that it won't help anything move along by not eating. Not eating will make you feel WORSE. Find something. Ensure, go to McDonald's... junkfood... your body needs food for energy. You can go a while without food but you'll feel awful.
    Tell yourself to get up and let's get on with it. Know what I mean? Go grab some food, put on some music, forget everything that is bothering you, even if it's just for a little while.
    Im grem_lyn@hotmail.com if you have msn messenger and need someone.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 12:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Thanks for the wonderful answers. No there is no chance of us working it out. Last night he spent the night with the new girlfriend. I drink coffee and tea all day so I am not worried about that I just have no appetite. I cook every night for my son I just cant eat. looking at food makes me ill right now.
    lonelyandscared

Answer by lonelyandscared at 12:18 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Honastly you might have already messed up your system and now when you start eating again its going to store it wrong cause your body is starving!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 12:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• a long time i have done it for yrs. barely eating 2-3 times a week. i don't know what damage it has cost me. although i never got fat although i heard that is true about your body storing itself in survival bode then gaining weight. don't worry about when you should eat. let your body tell you when your ready. i felt depressed from not eating so you might want to try to start as soon as possible. since your in a depressed state already. you don't want to stay there to long
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Well before I had kids I would do a juice fast for a week or two every 6 months to cleanse my system. Not the same I know, but I think anything more then a couple weeks without juice (not just coffee and tea). Try to eat as much as possible. When my father was in a terrible accident that ended up killing him I didn't eat for 3 weeks (barely nibbling here and there) and drank very little and ended up in the ER from dehydration. Ever since then I can't seem to keep the weight off and I think it has to do with what the others discussed.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• So sorry to hear what your going through. You really have to make yourself eat. Do it for your kids and all your loved ones who will be so worried for you.
    nannabart

Answer by nannabart at 12:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2009