• In the Spotlight:

Biblical Dietary Laws?????

I want to know more about the dietary laws. I've read all the passages and I've read a ton of articals about them and they all give conflicting views. I'm really just curious since I have a family member that 'claims' to abide by them.
My personal view is that the restrictions on the 'unclean' animals is pointless this day in age since we all know the proper way of cooking and sanitizing. Besides that why would God really care what a person eats compared to all the other choices good or bad in life?
So I want to know what your personal view is or what your religious or Church's view is on this.

ShutterBug77

Asked by ShutterBug77 at 12:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am a Christian, and I don't feel the need to follow the dietary laws from a spiritual perspective, but I find value in them from a health perspective. The BEST book you could buy on the topic is called The Maker's Diet, by Jordan Rubin. He is a nutritionist who explains how following the dietary laws of the Bible actually saved his life. He also explains the scientific benefits for each of the laws. It is so fascinating. They have it at most Barnes and Noble stores so if you have time, go get a cup of coffee/tea and find a cozy chair and look through it.

It doesn't matter how well you cook your food or sanitize it when it comes to a food being unclean. for example a pig (I still love bacon) excretes toxins through the skin. So the meat is dirty since the waste passes through it to get out. It is even more dirty today, with factory farming. Pigs can survive on trash, so most of the pork you eat is 10x as dirty as . . .
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• cont. it was in Biblical times. The laws of hygene, and disease prevention are so effective and advanced. The dietary laws are good for our health.

Sometimes we think we are so much more advanced. It is so silly. Our antibacterial soaps and gels, cause us to be more susceptible to antibiotic resistant bacteria (MSRA, etc.). The Bible told us to wash our hands under running water before you eat, after you touch something unclean, and to use hyssop (the active ingredient in listerine).

I think most of what you find in the grocery store is "unclean" and unhealthy. It is mostly genetically modified, with unhealthy synthetic/chemical additives. I try and eat as natural, and organic as I can. I still eat out, every now and then.

But although I don't follow the dietary laws, I totally believe that they were given to help the Israelites have supreme health. Science eventually proves the wisdom of the Bible.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Adam and Eve got the boot from the Garden because of what they ate. :) As for the dietary laws, they've been proven to be very healthy. We now know that animal fat is unhealthy ( causes elevated bad cholesterol, heart disease) lots of diseases are passed through the animal's blood (parasites,trichinosis)... I eat only Kosher/ Vegan foods for spiritual as well as health purposes. God cares very much what we put into our bodies. Ill health can hinder the work we are to do for Him.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 1:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• ditto to cinnamon-mom
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Cinnamon-mom... "pig (I still love bacon) excretes toxins through the skin"

This isn't a correct statement....

Pigs were though unclean b/c they were allowed to wallow in mud and feces (both human and thier own) and were fed waste (like decaying food and in some countries dead bodies..as pigs are naturally omnivores)

Pigs CAN NOT excrete anything through their skin (no sweat either). This is the reason they must wallow in mud...in order to lower thier body temperature...B/C they can not loose heat through excreting sweat or toxins from their skin!

I just wanted to get that peice of info out there to you. You have every right to eat hwoever you want, just please have correct information when educating others.

Thanks!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I send another ditto to cinnamon-mom. I follow the Biblical dietary laws because they are simply healthier and better for you.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 2:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• If you read the New testament it will answer your questions and prove that there are no longer dietary restrictions.

Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 5:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm

This should answer all of your questions.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 5:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Alize, where does it say that the dietary laws no longer stand? You're not speaking of Peter's vision, are you? (Acts 10) Peter obviously had not assumed that God had cancelled His own food laws or that Jesus' death and resurrection rendered them obsolete. From Peter's own words we see that he continued to faithfully follow those laws. Be sure not to read it in the NIV or the NASB ( which give a totally different meaning from the true context.)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Pork can also cause worms....another reason its a shitty food...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Mar. 25, 2009