What age do kids typically STOP needing a car seat/booster?

I know this is dependant on weight and height more so than age. I'm just wondering about when you think your child will be out of the booster or, if you've already stopped using one, how old he/she was?

AMsMommy212

Asked by AMsMommy212 at 12:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• 8 or 80 pounds here. We take our kids out on their 8th birthday.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• In my state they have to be 4 feet 9 inches before they can ride in a car without one. I would check with your state's laws.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• my brother JUST got a $500 ticket for my 7 year old sister not being in a booster seat...so my kids will be in them til they are 12 lol!!!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• You want the lap belt to rest on the hips not the stomach and the the shoulder strap should not be resting near the neck.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My friend has a 6 year old who hasnt been a car seat for at least 2 years...He is really big for his age though. It just makes me nervous when he is riding in my car, I don't want a ticket, and God-forbid, if we are in an accident! I'll check the state laws and fwd it to her, thanks :-)
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Looks like it is 5 years old and 36 inches tall, for Texas-- he meets those.
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• In FL it is 80 lbs and they need to be 4'9" tall to not be in a booster seat. The fine is $60 and 3 points on your license.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Our son no longer fit into his in our car around 5. He is too tall and his neck rested along the top of the head rest. If his head had gone back in an accident it would have seriously injured his neck. We took him out the day he turned 6 because the law dictates that a child between 4-6 needs one unless they are 55 inches tall(he is 7 and 53 inches right now). He was too tall for our vehicle, but in BMs car, he is still in a booster because she has really deep bucket seats and the seat belt runs across his neck if he isn't in one. So in Colorado it is over 6 or over 55 inches. But he was out when he was 6. If we had deeper seats that didn't have that headrest issue, we would still have him in a booster until he hit 55 inches, but that just doesn't seem safe to us.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Until they are big enough to not have the seat belt cut across their neck. My son is very tall and 6 years old. He is still in a booster. We follow the law but I am worried about safety more than the law. My son will sit in the most safe way in the car as possible even if I get teased for it.
    Anonymous

• Until they can pass the "5-step test", sorry don't have the link but google the 5-step test and see if the child passes it. Josef is primarly in a Britax Regent and occassionally in a SK Monteray, with no plans for a LONG time to be out of both. He is only 5.3yrs so he has quite a while left :-)
    Josef1129

Answer by Josef1129 at 1:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2009