when can a baby face forward?

I curious on this question bacause i have heard 20lbs and i've heard age one. does that mean if a baby is 20lb before the age of one they can face forward? Do they need a special car seat if they can still use their old one?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 12:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• still has to be over the age of one. No tmater what they weigh before that they still dont have the neck muscles to hold their head in a crash and possibly break their neck. Some people will even say 35lbs.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• No, the minimum age is one and minimum weight is 20 lbs. I believe infant seats are up to 35 lbs, you should leave it rear-facing until a year old
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 12:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• i was plannning on it, its the safest for my child, i was just curious because someone told me that the other day and i didnt know if it was true or not
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• the law states your child has to be both a year old and 22lbs. if you are using a infant carry seat you will need to be a convertable seat befor you turn her around.
    its truly best to leave them facing rear untill you just cant anymore. I suggest more like 18months. convertable seats are made to face the rear or the fwd. So if your baby is getting to big for her infant seat then you can still put her rear facing in a convertable seat.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 12:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• NO SOONER then 12 mos AND 20 lbs. If a child is 22 lbs and 8 mos old, they must remain RF. If a child is 15 mos and 18 lbs, they must remain RF. It's best to RF as long as possible, many convertible seats RF to 35 lbs. If your baby is in an infant seat, you will need to purchase a new seat for FF. If you have a RF to FF convertible, then you can just turn it around.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• What you didn't hear is the word "and". They should be at least 1 year of age and 20lbs.

This is NOT a law in all states. It is a law in SOME states. It is strongly recommended in all states, however. I wish people would get that part straight.
    Anonymous

• I'm going to change my answer to "never". The question is "When can a baby face forward?" A baby should never face forward. A toddler, maybe, a preschooler, yes, but not a baby. I know, I know, I'm being too specific here.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I will wait until 35+ lb and he can not comfortably sit facing backward. This is the safest position for him.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 1:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• In Oregon they have to be 1 year old AND 20 lbs. After they grow out of an infant seat I suggest a convertible seat to save money. They can go from RF to FF so you don't have to keep buying seats.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 8:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• They have to meet BOTH standards. It's 20 lbs, AND at least 1 year, though the longer you can keep them rear facing, the safer.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:09 AM on Mar. 25, 2009