• In the Spotlight:

Secondary drowning... Does this scare you ( when the child drowns hours/ days AFTER being in the water) Well today my 6 month old DD had her first swim lesson...and she swallowed some water ( to be expected) ...NOW I am paranoid she will drown...or be sick.

amber325

Asked by amber325 at 1:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Seriously? She will be just fine.
    Anonymous

• the first time i heard this story i was horrifide so i understand. but i think she will be ok. its rare when it happens. scary but rare.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• http://peterjung.blogspot.com/2008/07/post-9-dry-drowning-how-worried-should.html

i know it's scary. but i wouldn't worry too much about it. she'll continue to swallow/breathe in more water... as she learns to swim. you could keep an eye on her breathing 24/7. get a motion sensor (the ones that go off when baby stops moving-breathing for a certain amount of seconds). but really.. i personally wouldn't worry too much. your child will be fine.

my 10 month old breathed in some water recently (while taking a short bath) >__< scared the sht out of me. she was coughing a lot. but minutes later she was fine.
    Anonymous

• Yeah when I first heard this I was freaked too. I do think about it when I take my kids swimming at the gym, but then I try to push the paranoid part out of my mind. LOL. I am sure she will be okay, but I totally understand where you are coming from.
    SophieDrewsMom

Answer by SophieDrewsMom at 1:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• If you get too paranoid just get her checked out, that's what the docs get paid the big bux for!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 1:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• if her behavior is the same, she should be fine. and for the record, it's not SWALLOWING the water that causes death, it's ASPIRATING it.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2009