young kids in the front seat??

It drives me nuts to see a child barely able to see out the window in the front seat! my bf mom lets his 5 yr nephew ride up front all the time! even with the air bags on. does it drive anyone else nuts or is it just me? at what age did you let your child sit up front. My age limit is 10 with no air bags.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Occasionally, my 7 year old rides with my dad. In that case, he rides in the front seat, but my dad disabled the airbags in his truck a long time ago. Technically, my sister isn't supposed to ride in the front seat. Technically, my sister still needs a booster seat in some states.She is 26 and 4'9". I am only 4'11". So we haven't had airbags in the passenger side of vehicles for a long time. The passenger side airbag is disabled in our vehicle too, because I am barely bigger than my 7 year old. But that is the only time my son is ever in the front seat, and that has been like 3 times since he turned 7. The back door in my dad's truck doesn't work (someone tried to break into it and broke the mechanism that opens it) and my dad doesn't want him in the back of the truck unable to get to him if something happens.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• 5 and in the front seat is too young. I don't know when I will let my dd ride up front, but I do know it is a long way off. Improper use of carseats irks me in general. I was at work once when an employee pulled into the parking lot with her 3 year old standing up in the backseat. She was also driving without a license. Some people are just idiots like that.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I got to ride in the front seat at a young age, but then again that was the 90's when no one really cared, lol.
    LadyJayne27

Answer by LadyJayne27 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Drives me nuts too. I work the drive through at a fast food restaraunt. You would not believe all the people that drive with little ones in the front. I am talking infants, toddlers and so on. I also see kids not buckled, or strapped into car seats.
    SophieDrewsMom

Answer by SophieDrewsMom at 1:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I actually called the police on someone the other day. I work fast food and someone came through the drive thru with at least 7 kids in a sedan. They were all on top of each other and standing up in the back. Only one was belted in, and that was rear facing infant car seat in the front seat. I jotted down her license plate number and called the police. That terrifies me. Or seeing kids standing between the two front seats in cars. I have called the police on more than one occasion for things like that.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I can understand if there is a need for a child in the front but she drive a brand new car with everything that works
    Anonymous

• I have a neighbor who puts his son in the front seat with his car seat and before it was front facing. I don't agree. I called the police on someone in the walmart parking lot with an infant seat in the front and forward facing. I don't know what happened there. My DD will NOT be allowed to ride up front until she reaches 100 pounds. I know that sounds crazy but it is for her safety.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I agree, no kids in the front seat with air bags!! NONE!! My ex would let his daughter ride in the front seat all the time she was 5 at the time!

She knew that she couldn't if i was driving!
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 1:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• IWe let our nine year old ride up front sometimes but the seat is pushed all the way back so the airbag would never reach him God forbid there was an accident. Our six year old Daughter does as well sometimes in her booster but she is the height of an eight year old but still the weight of a five year old. We move the seat all the way back for her as well.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 1:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Here it's the law that you don't ride in the front until you are 13.
    LandonsMa0403

Answer by LandonsMa0403 at 2:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2009