i love my son

My son is 9 years old hes in the 4th grade , he does not like to read every time i tell him to get a book to read he would try anything to get out of it. I just got his reaport card hes not doing to good please help me find a way to get him interesting in reading

natasha1041

Asked by natasha1041 at 1:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Find out what he is into and get him a book on that--age appropriate though. Even if it is comic books. Reading is about comprehending. If you have to read it too and then ask questions about it when he is done and make sure that he is comprehending it properly. I wish you all the luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My 7 yo was not wanting to read, and his teacher pointed out that he liked to be read to, and so I got his eyes checked, he needed reading glasses, and no wloves to read. I know it is a different age and all but maybe see if he is having trouble seeing the page?
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Don't push too hard. My son is in 7th grade and just started reading for pleasure. I stopped pushing and he started the reading on his own. You have to find out what he is interested in and go from there. He could be having trouble reading or seeing the words. Have his eyes checked. Part of my sons problem was that the books at his grade level are too easy. In 4th grade he was reading at a 9th grade reading level, books at that level were just not appropriate. He is really into the StarWars series. (There are a couple). If he is into sports there is a whole series of sports related books (they have them at Barnes and Noble in kids section), the author is Matt Christopher (I think).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Hey natasha, i too have a nine yr old son named Alex, who LOVES to read. From an early age we would go to barnes and noble to check out books. I alwayz loved buying my kids books, sharing that passion with them brings out the interest in them about books. My son loves fairy tail creatures like Star Wars and Lord of the rings!Maybe, if you get him into books that he will like then maybe he will get more encouraged to read things he has to in school. My kids have there own library "Under There Beds" lol I know it's hard to find the time but as moms we have to make the time, just crawl on the floore with him and read for an hour or two. If you show interest in reading with him he might just suprise you!! Good Luck to you,
    sholie

Answer by sholie at 3:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My 6th grade son loves to read,when he was little,we used to go to the public library on the weekends,he would pick out books that he loved to read,I would suggest going on a trip to the public library,get him a library card,I bet he will love reading when he can choose a book that is
    interesting,& the more he reads,the more he will like it,my son is into te "Twilight"book series.
    MochaMom63

Answer by MochaMom63 at 5:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Some kids don't love to read, no matter what you do....maybe reading is harder for him and that takes the fun out of it. Still, there are benefits to reading and it should be encouraged. Even though he is older, maybe you could read with him (reading part of the book to him and let him read part of the book to you...). And, if you find that 10 minutes is enough for him, let it go at 10 minutes.....a little positive reading time is better than forced time that is unpleasant. I have done that with my son...we chose a book that seems interesting and read it together. Focus on the story itself rather than the readin...and maybe then he will learn to appreciate the fun of reading.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:18 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• you should get The Diary of a Whimpy Kid. My 9 year old hates reading, we make them read every night. He'll read those. Also the magic tree house books are good too. Find out what he's interested in and go from there. Maybe he likes real life stories or funny books. The Diary of a Whimpy kid books are pretty funny, one of them you can even write in. Good luck, but make him read, it feeds the soul and brain!
    MrsG423

Answer by MrsG423 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• btw, My 9 year old son's name is Alex too! weird!
    MrsG423

Answer by MrsG423 at 9:09 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I have two kids and my son loves to read and will spend hours doing so, my daughter is just the opposite and hates to read. I encouraged both the same and my daughter is even jealous of the shared common interest me and my son have in reading but she still won't read unless made to do so for school. I think all you can do is encourage reading and try to find books he might be interested in. Some people just don't get into reading.
    nannabart

Answer by nannabart at 1:38 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• BTW, If you find something that works, lemme know, I have the same problem!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 8:06 AM on Mar. 30, 2009