What method of punishment do you use for your child that works?

We prefer to do time outs standing up in the corner with our son but for the last month he has been refusing to go to time out by screaming, hitting, kicking, laying on the floor, etc. It turns into a huge battle with him. At the end of the battle we succeed in getting him to time out but this just isn't working. It is extremely stressful and I'm literally in tears trying to figure out where the hell I went wrong. So any method of punishment that you think would work please throw it our way because we are at a dead end. Thanks!

vnw1405

Asked by vnw1405 at 1:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Stick with what your doing. Your son is learning how to use his will power, and he is challenging you. The best thing to do is to keep calm, don't yell, talk to him. Tell him why your putting him in time out in your sweet voice. Don't fight it. Let him scream, don't react, it will fuel him. Once you get him in time out, tell him your proud that he did the right thing. Positive reinforcement really works, but a lot of parents don't have the patience for it. They flip out before they can get to the positive reinforcement part.

ALSO, If you let him see that your reacting to his behavior, he will do it more....to get a reaction out of you in hopes that he may win the battle. Som staying calm is KEY.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Kids will do that..they are testing their boundaries to see if they can get off from being in trouble by throwing a fit. As long as they are in the corner let him throw his fit. As long as he doesnt leave the corner, but if he does then his time starts over. Our other method is sending them to sit on their bed. So they can think about what wrong they did. We wait from 5-10 minutes depending on the situation, then ask if they know what they did was wrong, and why they did it. Then suggest other ways of resolving the problem without things getting out of hand.
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• We take stuff away that they like...for example no computer, no bike, no jeep, no playing with the next door neighbor (he works the best) I still use time out when necessary but taking the stuff away that they like seems to work much better... My dd is 4 1/2 and skids are 6 1/2...
    good luck
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Take away something that they really care about, remind him that these things are not rights, but privileges that can be removed for bad behavior. Also, I learned to pick my battles with my three year old. If she is just being crabby I ignore her so I don't re enforce the negativity, but if she is way outta line I do the corner thing too. And sadly there are times that you just have to hold them there, it seems like they snap right out of it immedatley anyway. I know it sucks. It is really hard being consistent sometimes.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Sit him in the floor right beside you. It is fine if he kicks and screams and don't let him go until he can act right and apologize. That is what I do instead of the corner. I even do it w/ the 7 year olds and the 11 year old. They hate it! I even make them come room to room w/ me. They hate that even more.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 1:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• We do the time out or take a favorite toy away. Our daughter generally kicks and screams in the time out corner but I make her sit there until she is ready to calm down. Then we talk about why she is in the time out chair.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 2:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I beat them with a good wooden stick!!. lol!! just kidding.
    three-for-now

Answer by three-for-now at 2:11 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• We do the time out and if that does not work we take a toy away and then after they settle down we talk to them about what they did to be in time out or get the toy taken away and why it was wrong.
    ghinkley07

Answer by ghinkley07 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• When my son was two and three and threw fits like that I would actually hold him. Hold his arms down and hold him on my lap. Till he calmed down. It sounds crazy but it really worked for him. Mostly now we just use time out. set a timer. Everytime he talks or misbehaves in time out I add anther minute to the timer. He got up to fifteen minutes once. Doesn't do that anymore. LOL
    Oh, and taking cartoons away works for kindergarteners.
    tristansmom74

Answer by tristansmom74 at 3:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2009