"your baby can read"?

does anyone on here have or know someone who has purchased the "your baby can read" program off of the TV?
it seems like an awesome way to teach your baby to read and learn at an early age.
im contemplating on it...

what do u think?

piercedmomma412

Asked by piercedmomma412 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i've heard bad reviews. someone posted the same question the other day and swayed my judgement on it.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 1:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I think it makes kids grow up far faster than they should and become something for their parents to brag about. Think about what it will do to them once they are in school, if your child has been reading at a third grade level since age four, Kindergarten is going to be VERY boring and could cause many problems in that way. I firmly think it's a waste of money and think that children should learn on their own time with their parents help at an age appropriate pace.

happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 1:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I haven't purchased it but the "see,do" learning method is well accepted. My concern is that this system teachs by memorization not phonics. What effect will this have late on with activites like "sounding out words" or spelling?
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 1:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I was one of those that could read very well at 3 and 4. By the time I got to Kindergarten.....good god was I bored. Unless you are homeschooling or sending to a very advanced school, don't do it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I bought it for my DD but she has only been using it for about a month. It keeps her attention and you can see her eyes following the words. I don't think theres anything wrong with wanting you child to understand words at a young age.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• ive seen the infomericals & really liked the idea...but it costs $200.

so i made my own! i got white index cards & wrote simple words like "up" & "book" on them. so after eating lunch my 9 m/o & i go thru them. i say the word while showing her the card & show her the action or object. weve been doing it for about a week now & my DD actually knows some the words (we started w/ 15 words). she isnt reading it tho, she has just tied the word she hears to the action or object. she really enjoys doing her words & i get a kick outta watching her learn. she isnt talking real words yet, but she has started making sounds similar to the word after i read it. so it seems to be working...so far :D
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I think it is just plain silly! There is NO benefit in teaching a child to read early. Baby needs to be sung to, walked, cuddled, play with blocks, dig in the dirt, eat sand etc. Any time spent on "your baby can read" is taking time away from those other activities.
    If you want to give your baby a head start in reading, read to her every day. Then read to her some more!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I have to agree with happyathomemum. I think there are way to many parents out there too worried about getting their kids advanced academically more for themselves than for their kids and I really don't think it helps the kids all that much. We do homeschool but its not because we want our kids to to be more advanced. I would say our girls are more mature than most kids their own age but are academically equal. The majority of the kids I have seen that are 2 or 3 grades above their age...or some even 1 grade level above are very immature compared to kids in those grades. One or two were not even at the maturity level of kids their own age, let alone their grade level.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 8:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Why do you need to purchase something to teach your child to read? If you have cable and get "Word World" (I don't remember the name of the other cartoon that teaches the letters of the alphabet.) or the other cartoon, your child will learn his letters. I say the letters that are said on the cartoon and encourage my ds to say them as well. My two-year-old has started to say some of the letters when we look at books. My two older children love to play the ABC game, sometimes, while we drive somewhere. (You must find all of the letters. They must be in alpha order.) My ds sometimes shouts out a letter that he finds. These are fun ways to reinforce helping children learn their ABC's.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 9:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2009