Breastfeeding/discharge issue - Is this normal?

I stopped nursing and pumping about 2 1/2 - 3 months ago. Every once in a while, my left nipple hurts. It still is producing milk (if I squeeze it). Is this normal? It seems like that's a long time of not nursing to still have milk. I have my women's well visit tomorrow and will talk to my doc. about it but I was curious if anyone had a similar experience.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Health

• Well, I havent breastfed in 5 years, and my right nipple still produces milk. Yes it's normal, i have talked to my gyno about it. But mine doesn't hurt, your still fresh from breasfeeding, I would not worry about it. Your breasts are probably still filling up some, & getting tender.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Yes it's completely normal. I know you get a little freaked out by this...I would too. I didn't breastfeed my baby and I leaked for a while after...it'll eventually subside. If it doesn't subside and you feel worried about it consult your doctor she/he should be able to prescribe you something to help stop this.
    mirandagraham

Answer by mirandagraham at 1:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I went to see my doctor and she said it takes about a 1yr after nursing for hormones to regulate and until then, I'll produce milk. But she said taking Benadryl or Sudafed will dry up my milk very quickly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Mar. 26, 2009