• In the Spotlight:

I am tryint to start my own cleaning business. Please help with any advice you may have.

If any of you ladies out there have or have had your own cleaning business please help me with a few tips to get started and not look like I have no clue what I am doing. I have an ad posted right now that I will clean for $17 an hour. I have my own cleaning products but I posted that I will use their's if they prefer. Is $17 too much to ask for? What should I expect to clean and what sort of things should I decline cleaning? I do not have a ladder or anything like that so should I tell people that I don't do windows that I can not reach or will they assume that? Help with names for it would be awesome also. My name is Ashley and my daughter's name is Kyler, I was thinking of using one of our names in the name of my business. Please help with any advice you can, I don't want to work in a regular business anymore and I want to have more time with my daughter at home so this is why I want to start my own cleaning business.

ashlrenee

Asked by ashlrenee at 1:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• I, personally, think that $17/hour is expensive. I can't imagine ever paying anyone that much to clean my house. I guess it depends a lot on where you live.

As for everything else, I have no idea. Good luck to you :)
    Anonymous

• My aunt has owned her business for a long time. Make sure you get your tax info and your business license straight for your state. I can't stress it enough. That stuff can backfire on you. And advertise your butt off! Fliers, phonebook, internet, make some business cards!! Good luck.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Well first of all.. just alittle tip!! I do work in this field. If someone is paying you $17 a hour.. you better wash those windows. Unless stated in your contract . You should do anything they ask.. including moving stuff out of the way, hands and knees cleaning, washing walls. I really don't think your going to make it big, without doing the extras!! WINDOWS.. come on!! . that is why your hired, right? I would charge $15/hour.. but it depends were your from and how rich/poor the area is.. can I get more info on your area?? Good luck and remember to make that money you need to work hard.. Hope you all the best :)
    three-for-now

Answer by three-for-now at 2:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• your best bet right now is just to run an ad in the local newspaper and start out by word of mouth. I do lots of Private under the table jobs.. cash ONLY!!
    three-for-now

Answer by three-for-now at 2:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I was getting $22 an hour and that was a few years ago, that's still the going rate more in some cases. I had a VERY successful business. The name was Top to Bottom and in Between. Feel free to use that one if you want. Oh, on my first visit to clean a clients home I always left a small house plant as a thank you for their buisiness. Good Luck, it's an exhausting job if you get as busy as I was.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 2:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I live in Flagstaff, az. It is a very high cost place to live. Thank you for that name top to bottom and in between. That is a very catchy name and I might use it.
    ashlrenee

Answer by ashlrenee at 3:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I'm glad you liked it...it's all yours if you want it hon. Good luck to you again, you should have no problem getting at least $21 an hour in Flagstaff. Since you already put in a price in the add, you can tell anyone who calls that is your cost, but as the summer comes you will be raising your rates to...whatever you feel comfortable telling them. It sounds like a lot of money but in reality, the most time you will spend in a home usually will be about 2 hours, so it's really not much. Also, tell your clients that you will need an extra hour for the first two cleanings to get used to the house and the layout after the first two times you should be able to shave off an hour. I said that to all my clients and it was always the case. If you have any other questions please don't hessitate to ask.

happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 4:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I don't have a cleaning business but thought of opening one myself but don't want work that hard. But I do know that you have to get insurance and bonded, That way If anything break's your but is covered, And I would use a product that is enviroment friendly, Green as they say, May help boost your business, everyone is going green,
    Best of luck to you,
    Amber
    Amberlynn2001

Answer by Amberlynn2001 at 4:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• How about Sparkling Homes by Ashley?
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 5:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2009