Someone has told me that if you take a hot bath in your first trimester that it is not good is this true? I have also heard you should not get massages and pedicures because there are certain pressure points that can make you miscarry is this true?

Krisssssy

Asked by Krisssssy at 2:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i have the book what to expect when your expecting and it says to only take 5 min showers and it say that you can get pedicures just dont let the massages the above a below the anckle they have web sit it is WhatToExpect.com
    Anonymous

• what to expect when your expecting is not a good book for pregnancy advice lol.

You can take hot baths, and hot showers. You just don't want to overheat yourself.

You can get pedicures, if the do foot massages let them know you are pregnant. There are pressure point that can cause contractions, etc, it's called shiatsu or acupressure and it's great for use in labor just not before hand.

As for massages, just let them know you are pregnant and fine a massage therapist who works with prenatal care.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I do pedis and foot and ankle massage for a living and can say I recieved many of them my entire pregnancy and never had a problem. I have given services to pregnant women of all types and had no problems, regular clients and all. My husband also constantly massaged my ankles and feet from day one because of soreness. No problems here. As far as showers go, I showered as long as i felt like it, I was just fine. I didn't know I was pregnant and I was in the hot tub numerous times, they just worry about you over heating thats all. Hot tub did make me sick though!lol
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• What to expect where your expecting is a AWESOME book IMO ! I don't take long showers as it is anyway so I have no advise.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 2:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• It is advised not to sit in water higher than 100 degrees. If you see a massage therapist, see one that specializes in prenatal massage. There are a few pressure points that are linked to the uterus, so just be careful. So long as they know you are pregnant, it shouldn't be a big deal. I was told not to get massages because I was high risk for preterm labor.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Massages and pedicures are totally fine, I've had massages since I got pregnant with absolutely no side effects. I'm not completely sure about shiatsu and acupressure, so I would ask the doctor. I take twenty minute showers that are quite warm, but I make sure that my temperature is not above 100 degrees or sustained for higher than my normal temp for over 30 minutes. The problem that arises from taking long hot showers or being in the hot tub is that your temperature could rise, and if it's sustained, it could be very similar to having a fever, which you don't want wqhile you're pregnant! =) Hope this helped!
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 2:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• You shouldn't take too hot a shower or bath - take regular temp. You can get manicure, pedicures- let them know your pregnant so they don't touch certain spots and massages are great when preg! just be sure to tell them your pregnant once again and that you need a massure who has been trained in prenatal massage (never lay on your tummy).
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 3:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My Husband is a massage therapist and it's perfectly safe the entire pregnancy, that's why there is pregnancy massage! There are trigger points to induce labor, they are on your hands and feet but a typical massage does nto work on them enough.... and besides, we tried and tried that method, we think it's crap. He's a good therapist too, so I don't think I believe it. As of hot baths, it shoudl really only be warm, not too hot... like a hot tub is bad. A hot shower wont hurt you as long as your not in there forever and it raises you temp a lot... just relax!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• What to expect when you're expecting should be burnt. The "advice" in that book is really off the wall. I had to wonder where they came up with their answers. Sometimes I think the authors just put whatever sounds "right" irregardless of FACTUAL evidence to support their claims. Anyway, during the first trimester most miscarriages are unavoidable. Many are caused by chromosome issues and only rarely can someone unintentionally cause a miscarriage.

You can take a hot bath, especially if it's what your body is used to. The best rule is the sweat rule. If you are taking a bath or a shower and you feel like you're starting to sweat then the water is too hot. Otherwise soak away.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 1:22 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I am a massage therapist of 11 years. Your question is in three parts about hot baths, massage, and pedicures. It is a known a health risk to get overheated during your pregnancy. A hot pack on a sore shoulder, a gentle warm bath for 10 minutes, things like that are not going to increase your overall body temperature to a degree in which you would endanger the child should be fine. Long soaks in Hot Tubs, Hot Baths, or Sauna's are not a safe choice during pregnancy. If you have questions about this still, check with your Mid-Wife or Doula, if you don't have one, get one.

massagegiftmom

Answer by massagegiftmom at 1:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2009