Help me settle this debate

My friend and I are having a debate about the new policy our State adopted last year not issuing/renewing driver licenses to anyone without a valid SS#. They are doing this in attempt to drive out the illegal immigrants who have been obtaining licenses with Tax ID numbers (illegals can get Tax ID numbers to work for employers that require that they work on the books and pay taxes).

She says it's a good thing because the illegals shouldn't be allowed the same privileges as the legal people and maybe they will get the hint and leave.

I say it's a bad idea because they are not going to stop driving just because they couldn't get their license renewed/issued, and what is going to happen is a whole lot of legal drivers are going to face losses when hit by people who were denied a license and now don't have insurance either.

Opinions?

Please keep to the topic at hand and not rant about any other opinions concerning illegals.

Sharon7772

Asked by Sharon7772 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with you.
    Raintree

Answer by Raintree at 2:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I agree with your friend.
    Anonymous

• I agree with your friend
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• just because they arent going to follow the law doesnt mean the guidelins shouldnt be there..
    Anonymous

• Let's solve this by really enforcing the immigration laws.Control the boarders
    Anonymous

• I'm on the fence. I can see the reasoning behind both of your opinions. Although, I think your friend is wrong in thinking that they will "get the hint and leave."
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 2:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• If they were going to get the hint and leave it would have happened already. They need to address the companies that are hiring them. No money- no life.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• They won't get the hint.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Why should people follow laws if we're going to make it easy for them to ignore them? If you're here illegally, you shouldn't perks of being here legally. If you are, for all intensive purposes, committing a crime by not obeying immigration law and working without legal grounding to do so, you should *not* get the PRIVLEDGES that come with legal 'green-card' status or citizenship.

Anonymous

• even illegals with a license don't have insurance. so either way, the insured, legal driver is getting screwed.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 2:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2009