Is there a softer crib matteress?

My son is 15 months old and sleeps wonderfully on a couch, or on my bed but as soon as I put him in his crib w/ the hard and noisey mattress he wakes up, I can not get him to sleep on that mattress.

Would it be okay to put a comforter under his crib sheet to make it softer and not as loud.

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 2:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yeah, by 15 months I think he should be fine, considering he's old enough to be in a twin bed by now (not that I recommend attempting that now -- I say go with the crib as long as possible). Our crib mattress is hard, our daughter always slept fine on it, but it isn't noisy. It's a foam one. Is that what you have?
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I don't think it's a foam one, It's honestly one that I had since my DD used it 8 yrs ago.
    There wasn't anything wrong with it so I didn't go buy a new one.
    Do the foam mattress have that hard, plastic covering on them for waterproofing and such?
    cuteasabutton78

Answer by cuteasabutton78 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• In my experience (not much lol) the more you spend the better the crib mattress. I spent $80 on my son's and he seemed to really like it. I just changed him to a twin bed as of Sunday. If you end up with a foam mattress that doesnt have waterproofing you can always get a mattress pad that is soft at Babies R Us or you could put a few sheet savers under the fitted sheet. I don't know if they make plastic sheets to go under crib sheets but its a thought too...
    aidengrant07

Answer by aidengrant07 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Yes, the foam one we have does have the waterproofing cover. A good one is about $100.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2009