Picking and choosing in christianity

Why is it that christians claim you cannot pick and choose what parts of the bible to believe in, such as hating homosexuals, etc. and then, when it comes to something that would be difficult, such as dietary laws stated in the bible, its ok to ignore that part. i find it aggravating to the very core. shouldn't those who claim to follow god's law and the bible and all that also follow dietary restricitons???

KEHMom

Asked by KEHMom at 2:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• well you have to realize those people are sinners too. they might not know any better than you.. so do what u know is right.. and what jesus would do..
    Anonymous

• Because most of the dietary restrictions,and clothes,and sin offerings,and whatever else they can find to throw up to us is in the Old Testament. All of those things were covered when Jesus came,and died on the cross. As to the homosexuality, Paul speaks against it in Romans or Acts,can't remember which,but it is most definetly still covered in the New Testament. So, Ehhh! Thank you for playing, try again.
    Anonymous

• Not to mention,as Christians as Christ did, we don't hate the person. We love the person, we hate the sin, just as Jesus did,and said so!
    Anonymous

• I can't speak for everyone but for me as a Christian.. I follow the entire word of God. However, as Christians we are told to rightly divide the word of truth. We also have to understand the context some passages were in and not just go by one single verse out of context.

So, to the first thing you stated - no place in the bible does it tell us to hate homosexuals - it does call the sin of homosexuality a sin (in both the old and new testament); the dietary laws were in the old testament and under the law, however in the new testament and under grace we were released to eat certain foods (can give chapter and verse later), some choose to continue to follow the dietary laws (i do some such as no pork and no shellfish - not necessarily for religious reasons but i find it to be healthier).

bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• No one is perfect even Christians so of course they make stupid comments or translations or pick and choose like you said some laws and ignore others.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 2:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• cont. As I said, as a Christian I hate sin as God hates sin... but i love the person as God loves the person. Which is the reason He sent His Son Jesus to die on the cross for everyone's sin that we could come to have a personal relationship with Him through His Son Jesus.

That showed ultimate love.... not hate.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• They look at the Bible like it is a buffet line...pick up what you like. I'm a Christian and Im sure Im guilty of it too but I know what you mean that is not the way we are supposed to use the Bible. No sitn on the fence.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• WE ALL INTERPRET THE BIBLE DIFFERENTLY, THIS IS WHERE THE PICKING AND CHOOSING COMES FROM.

Answer by older at 2:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I assume you are talking about me. lol. The dietary laws are not mandatory for Christians to follow. In the book of Acts the apostles, at the Jerusalem Council affirmed that they couldn't test God or His grace by converting the gentiles (heathens) to Judaism. Since we cannot be justified by the Law, but by grace. "Therefore I judge that we should not trouble thouse from amone the Gentiles who are turning to God, but that we write them to abstain from things polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from things strangled, and from blood." Acts 15:19-20. This was confirmed further throught the vision God gave Peter, commanding him to eat unclean food Acts 11:8. Christ also preached against the idea you can be spiritually sanctified through food (Matthew 15:11).

This isn't picking and choosing this is Christian tradition from the start. We are not under the dietary Laws, that doesn't mean that they aren't healthy.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• As for the other part of your question, Christians do not hate homosexuals. I have gay friends and family that I love very much.

But homosexuality is a sin that Christians are to repent of and be forgiven for, just like many others. "Do not be decieved. Neither fornicators, nor idolators, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God." (1 Corinthians 6:9-11)

We were all in the same boat before Christ. He is the only difference in us, and He makes all the difference.

So as you can see I am not picking and choosing. The way I live my life is in complete agreement with the holy word of God. I hope this info helps you understand it better : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2009