Baby needs breast to fall asleep.

How do I get my 3-week old asleep without breastfeeding her? She will not sleep unless she's had a little suckle. I don't think she's ever fallen asleep at night on her own without a little feeding. It's not a full feeding usually, just a snack. When I try putting her down she bawls until I pick her up and feed her even if she's just finished feeding. What to do?

danielp

Asked by danielp at 2:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep doing it. My son did this for months, right after I pulled away the tit I would slip a pacifier in his mouth. It is a comfort thing not just a eating thing.
    Anonymous

• Three weeks? You can't. Just go with it. This will pass, but not for quite a long time. Don't expect her to go to sleep on her own easily during year one.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• if you've JUST fed her, she's obviously not hungry so there's no reason to keep feeding her. give her a paci. she'll fall asleep. it's also good to have a routine so she knows what to expect. for example, i always fed, then changed my baby before bedtime.

really though, it's not something you need to be concerned about at this age. my kids usually just fell asleep during their last feeding of the day. once she gets to be a few MONTHS old, then you may need to work on it.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• at 3 weeks what's wrong with that? They eat smaller amounts and are hungry a lot more often...you have a ways to go before I would start worrying about that...my DD is 7 months and when she wakes up in the nite I nurse her back to sleep. Just think of it as extra special time you get with her.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I agree, you should go with it if you can. But what some people forget is that in some circumstances your breast isn't there (if your husband has the baby or something else). 3 weeks is old enough to try a pacifier if you want to go that route (we've always done one but gotten rid of it around 5 months with no major issues) or you can try motion (a swing, rocking, etc). But the sucking is what soothes them at this point...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• she's only 3 weeks old! this is completely normal.. it happens. :) 3 weeks is too young to really worry about it, or start a routine, or anything.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I'd just keep letting her fall asleep that way. You can try every few days or weeks to see if she is willing to go to sleep on her own, but I wouldn't force it. Some kids will fall asleep on their own, some won't. My sons wouldn't for about a year or so. But my daughter, from just weeks old, wanted to nurse and then fall asleep after she was done. She never seemed to want to nurse while falling asleep. She viewed them as 2 separate events LOL.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 3:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I think 3 weeks is too young to worry about that. When i saw he question, i immediatley assumed she was at least 6 months +
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• This is how babies are supposed to go to sleep! I nursed my babies to sleep every night until they were a year old. At that age, they had no problem learning to go to sleep without it (we switched to rocking and singing). That is the beauty of breastfeeding, it is the magic sleeping potion! Use it to your advantage :-)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• With all three of my babies we slept in the recliner just about every night until they were about 6 to 8 wks old. Most nights I fell asleep while they were still nursing. Even after that, they had a "last" nursing before I put them to bed for the night. Since I wasn't working, I went with the flow.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2009