I need advice from you fellow apartment dwellers..please!

Our new neighbors above Us are crazy loud, have a large dog that is constantly hyper [jumps around and barks a lot..I guess it doesn't get out much], they sound like they STOMP when they walk, and this goes on most of the day until late at night, like till midnight..no exaggeration. It isn't the quality of the apts..Our last neighbors weren't nearly as loud. The other day I said hi and my Son waved to them as We were passing outside and apparently they are mighty stuckup and ignored Us..so I am rethinking talking to them about their loudness. Should I still attempt face-to-face or just talk to the manager and see if she can ask them to be more considerate? They wake my Son up! That is the only thing that upsets me.

irishstarz

Asked by irishstarz at 2:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• definatly go to the manager withthis, you dont wnat to cause a face to face problem. never know how they will react to you calling them loud ya know it cause an argument between you. i live in a nice ghetto...if such a thing exsists lol....so theres no way i would ever confront them myself. to afried of my tires being slashed...so i could just be over causious. but we have some neighboors that moved in up stairs across the hall, but when they go up the stairs they are running, skipping steps, falling on them hard, and the sound it makes is just horrible. they had come and introduced themselves before, so i was fine with telling them when i saw them outside but i wouldnt go to their place to complain about them...but anyway....the wonderful joys of apartment dwelling huh?
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• As a former downstairs resident - YES, talk to the apartment manager! Either that or file a noise complaint with the PD.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I would mention it to the Manager first. If it still continues then I would file a formal complaint to the manger.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:25 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• maybe you can move into another one like down the hall. i know that seems too much but i dont know im in the same boat ... our upstairs neighbors are the same and it wakes up the baby... i just deal with it
    Anonymous

• I would talk to the apartment manager. They obviously won't take anything you say to them to heart. Then if the apartment manager can't get them to be more respectful of their neighbors, file a complaint.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I would talk to the manager. Then start saving to move into a different apartment or rent a house. I stoped renting apartments ages ago for this reason,,, the noise.

Answer by louise2 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I would file a formal complaint and document every time you hear them. If the management does not do anything contact the police department. They will make your management do something since they do not like being called out for this stuff. We just went through this at our last place. The people were terrible and our landlord did issue a letter stating if they did not control their dog and kids they would be evicted. There was a noise clause in our rental agreement. If you have kids and live on an upper level you have to control them. They gave discounts to families to take bottom floor units for that reason. They were really pissy with us but were quiet. Friends of our moved into our unit and they said the kids are worse than ever until they called the cops and leasing agency. Now the family is being evicted. Good riddance to them.
    Anonymous

• I'm going thru a similar thing myself.We're just moving.We've tried every venue,but no one will help us,and the landlord says he cannot evict them.I say B.S!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Not much you can do, I am afraid to say. A lot of apartments will consider that "basic living". I had a b---ch downstairs neighbor who would beat the ceiling if our kids walked around. I never allowed them to run and I never played my music loud. The neighbor went to complain and the apartment complex said that they cannot control basic, everyday life noises. IF it were the TV or stereo being played loud, yes. But you cannot control your neighbor's walking or their dogs, particularly if the apartment allows dogs of various sizes.
    Anonymous

• You could have the management come by and listen to the noise to see if it is what they deem excessive, i forgot to add. The management came by to listen to our noise and said it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Excessive noise is subjective.
    Anonymous