My baby girl choked. Dr. says she has GERD (Sandifer's Syndrome)...need advice.

My 2 month old daughter choked so bad one time we had to call 911. Praise the Lord she is OK now and has been for a month so hopefully we're on the path to getting out of this stage. We went to the Dr. and he said he's seen it a thousand times. We have to constantly keep her propped up on a boppy pillow, which is what she sleeps on, she cannot be on her back. I am scared that this will happen again and I won't be able to handle it b/c it was such a traumatic experience. Also I am scared that with her not being on her back like a normal baby that she won't be as quick to crawl or roll over or even push herself up on all fours. All advice is appreciated. Thanks for your answers.

mirandagraham

Asked by mirandagraham at 2:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Health

• my youngest had GERD! Yes as a baby she was on adult stength prevacid and zantac at different times. We had to keep her upright for at least 30 minutes after she ate and had to elevate her head of the bed. Luckily she outgrew it at 12 months. Keep a nose sucky with you at all times.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My baby also was diagnosed with GERD (almost from birth). My pedi put her on Prilosec (in liquid form for babies) and that together with the right formula helped. And then she outgrew it. I think she was about 4-6 months and we were off the medication. As for her hitting her milestones, if you give her plenty of "tummy time" she will learn all the things she needs to learn. We didn't have any problems with that. Good luck! I know how scary this condition can be!!
    gracielusmom

Answer by gracielusmom at 2:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2009