breastfeeders and co-sleepers please help!

So my DD is 7 months old and as time goes on she seems to be waking up MORE than when she was younger. I nurse her back to sleep b/c that's usually the only way she will fall back asleep. However last nite, I tried to nurse her and she just screamed. wouldn't take a bottle, paci, nothing. So I literally sat in the rocking chair for hours just so she could stay asleep. Is it supposed to get worse as they get older?? Is it time to transition to the crib?? any suggestions would be helpful. thanks

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 2:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well she is probably going through a growth spurt which would explain the eating more and the whole crying thing was probably her saying she is in pain due to teething? She is right around that age so.... But unless you want a toddler sleeping in your bed I would start the transition now cause the longer you wait the harder it is.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 2:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• She is probably teething, it's very painful & can keep kids up all night, and it can also keep them from eating enough.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Sounds like something was wrong (teething, earache, tummy ache, who knows!) My first baby increased his nursing at night a lot at around 7-9 months. (I was really surprised to learn I got PG when he was 9 months old because he was nursing all night long! I thought I must not be getting my period 'cause he is nursing so much). As long as he was nursing and sleeping, then I could sleep and it was fine. I kept my second in bed with me, he had unlimited access to the breast all night as well, and he started sleeping through the night at 6 months.
    Sometimes at this age they are nursing less during the day because they are so busy and excited about the world, they want to do all of their nursing at night while they are asleep. Often it will help to make an effort to increase day time nursing (even lay down with her in a dark room a couple of times a day). Then she may not need to "tank up" all night!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I agree with all the posters except about the longer you wait to transition to their own bed the harder. Not all babies are the same. While its true your's could be one that is harder to get into their own bed, she may not be. We co-slept with all three and didn't have any problems putting them into their own beds. Co sleeping was more for me when hubby was gone as I slept better with them in bed with me then in their own bed.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 7:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2009