breastfeeding question....

I have been working off and on and so I have been pumping. Well, it seems Im getting less and less each time. My DD will only nurse at nite (not my choice) no matter how often I offer it to her. All she does is bites and laughs. anyway, I have done the mothers milk tea, fenugreek (3pills 3xday) every supplement you can imagine and oatmeal. everything. I would love to continue to BF for another 5 months. shes 7. but I don't know how. I am only pumping 2-3 oz. at a time. what happens when I run out of supply and don' tpump enough and she's still hungry??

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 2:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make sure you're pumping every 2 hours with a good double electric pump. After that it sounds like you've done all you can do, to my knowledge. I was pumping and pregnant by around 7 months and my supply was shot by about 9 months, but I kept up one feeding a day until 12. It just seemed like the pumping wasn't worth it. In retrospect, I would have kept pumping what I could... every little bit helps. But it's your decision... you've done a good thing for your child already. Don't let anyone make you feel like you've failed if you're not able to exclusively breastfeed for 12 months!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• pumping can be so ineffective. It could also be the pump that you have too. Is it a good electric? How often do you pump? She could be going through a nursing strike so make sure you offer breast before bottle, no matter what.!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• What kind of breastpump do you have? I had a really poor quality manual one that I could only pump about 2 ounces total with. And that was both breasts!

I've heard that electric ones help a lot with supply and you generally pump more at one time. I'm hoping I can invest in a good one before my new baby comes!

So, maybe that would help...
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 2:57 PM on Mar. 24, 2009